6303 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G3 SmartStart Install after Windows 2003

LAMBINON Philippe
Occasional Contributor

DL380 G3 SmartStart Install after Windows 2003

I've the following question :

A HP/Compaq DL380 G3 has been installed without using Smartstart. The Server has actually two disks configured as followed :
- first disk : Partitions C: (Windows 2003 Server), D: (some data??)
- second disk : Partition F: (Microsoft Virtual Machine Beta)

Both disks are on controller 0

We want to mirror (Raid 1)these disks with two new disks on Controller 1 (the Compaq partition is not installed). How can I proceed to install the Smartstart tools, to create the Raid1 ? I've to be ABSOLUTELY SURE of the procedure to follow (otherwise I'll have to test it before). Could you escalte the question ?

Thanks for help

Regards

Philippe
plambino@csc.com
2 REPLIES 2
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

So... the current RAID configuration is two RAID 0 arrays with one drive each ?

In that case it should be possible to add drives and migrate from RAID 0 to RAID 1 - but unfortunately I haven't tried that.

BTW - Like all new Proliant systems with RBSU (ROM based setup utility) the DL380G3 doesn't use a system partition. Even if there's one on the drives.

But if the drives have been configured/installed using a 'regular' SCSI controller (not a Smart Array RAID controller) then even connecting them to a Smart controller may destroy all data. Smart Array controllers use the beginning of the drive to store the RAID configuration - that's where 'regular' SCSI controllers store partition table and boot sector.
Lien Mock
Occasional Advisor

The DL380 has an integrated 5i controller, i.e. Controller 0. to load the smart start just download the Proliant support pack from the website. You can also just download the latest ACU(Array Configuration utility). If you are adding a second smart array controller, and the current drives are set up as two raid 0 arrays,I would suggest you add two more drives of equal space, then click on each drive and add a second drive by migrating from Raid 0 to Raid 1. You will then have two mirrors on the original controller. You can then shut down and recable the drives so that the second mirror is on the second controller, at boot up the new controller will "see" the mirror and use it. That should do it.

Lien Mock
MASE, Data Availability
lmock@prosysis.com