1752786 Members
5821 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G3 Upgrade

SDG_1
Occasional Contributor

DL380 G3 Upgrade

Hi, Current setup is: DL380 G3 server with 4-72GB drives with Raid 5 using onboad controller. I would like to add a 641 controller and 2-72GB drives and use raid 1 on these. Boot controller is the onboard controller. What are the steps to complete this?

Thanks,
Steve
7 REPLIES 7
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

SA 641 is compatible no issu
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11473_div/11473_div.html
or
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/proliantstorage/arraycontrollers/compatability-matrix.pdf

insatll the hardware
Configure the driver.
Use ACU to configure the RAID
If want to boot from from RAID 1 (New). Go RBSU Set the boot order for controller.

Check image for PCI Duplex SCSI Cabling
Item Component Description SCSI IDs managed
1 Short SCSI cable 0, 1
2 Long SCSI cable to PCI SCSI controller 2, 3, 4, 5
3 Terminator board N/A

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
SDG_1
Occasional Contributor

I have the 641 controller installed and drivers for it are up-to-date. If I connect the long scsi cable the system won't boot. Isn't the short cable controll only the 1st 2 drives? This will break my raid 5 then because the first 4 drives are on the short scsi cable.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Follow this

Power down the server.
move the hdd from 1&2 to 5&6
then connect 5icable to point 2 as shown in pic then boot
Check this is working or not.

Remeber 2 things:
1)Backup is must what ever you do ( Above thing can be done without damage to data.
2)Don't forget to assign points.

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Second part will be to connect the other controller to point (1) then configure the new raid on the same

Rember to use Terminator board
i think part no is : 289563-001

confirm it before purchasing

Prashant s.
Nothing is impossible
SDG_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks! I'll give this a try and post the results.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

sure

if possible mail on indianvb@gmail.com

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

SA641 installed and you can see it from OS, one step done.

DL380 G3 has some limitation, and RAID 1 with 2 x72 and SA641 not possible as you see when duplex used. (Different story with 6402). With DL380 G3 either both ports should be used with array controller or PORT 2 with embedded and PORT 1 with Optional or onboard only simplex/duplex.

By default you already have cable connected from SCSI Port 2 to SCSI backplane Port 2.
Try to migrate firstly from 5i to SA641, connect cable from Sa641 to Port 2 of SCSI backplane, boot and see if all ok. Power down and after move drives 0,1 to 2,3 and 2,3 to 4,5 and at same time make duplex. There will be small short one to Port 1, you can remove and add terminator board, after connect cable from SA641 to Port 1. Add Short cable from Port 2 to SCSI backplane PORT 2 back as it was previously At POST access to F9 change boot Controller order and change to SA641. Make sure you can boot successfully. During POST there will be information about Drive Position has been changed accept it.

After on the fly you can add 2 x72 to ID 0, 1 access ACU configure new Array. Format.. good to go..