ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752780 Members
6575 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 G3 Won't POST, possibly PCI riser?

Johann Grotkier

DL380 G3 Won't POST, possibly PCI riser?

Last night I tried to install a USB 2.0 PCI card into one of our DL380's. The server would not boot after installing the card so I removed it and replaced the riser card. Ever since the server will not POST, nothing displays, I get no beep codes, no bad status LEDs, nothing. The only thing that seems strange to me is that the power indicator lights on the back of the riser cage indicate that the PCI slots are still powered up. This is not so on the other DL380's which makes me think that is related.

I have tried clearing the NVRAM (although part of the directions includes waiting for POST to start and that never happens as I mentioned). I reseated the riser card multiple times. I booted the machine with no RAM and I did get the long beep.

Can anyone tell me why those slots might still have power, and if that's related?
6 REPLIES 6
Sangram_1
Regular Advisor

Re: DL380 G3 Won't POST, possibly PCI riser?

Hi Johann,

What is the Generation of the DL380?
Does it have any other card installed, like a SA card?

And was the power cord connected (although server was shutdown) to the server, when you removed the USB card?

If you have similar DL380's and one is available out of production, try swapping the riser cage as well. That might isolate.
I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing.
Johann Grotkier

The server is a G3.

There are no other PCI cards installed.

I removed the entire riser board to install the card after pulling the power.
Johann Grotkier

Oh, and we don't have any non-production DL380's that I am willing to risk swapping out cards.
Sangram_1
Regular Advisor

Right next to the PCI Riser cage is the Riser interlock failure LED, is it amber or OFF?

Also with regards to the LED on the riser cage that is ON just indicated that AC Power is connected.

Anyways it most likely seems to be a Riser cage issue. However, just for a try again sometimes riser cage do not seat properly no matter how firmly we try to connect them and in such cases server does not POST. So may be you could give it a another shot, make sure latched are firm and the thumb screws are tight too.
I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing.
Johann Grotkier

Actually the LEDs I am referring to are the 4 LEDs on the back of the cage which face the exterior of the chassis. I believe you are referring to the single "AC connected" LED on the top of the cage. That one is on as it should be.

As far as the Riser Interlock LED, I can't seem to find it. There are no amber or red LEDs on at all near the riser board (or anywhere else for that matter) so I can only assume that means it is connected correctly.

I have tried reseating the riser multiple times. I'll try once more for good measure :-)
Johann Grotkier

OK, so I found the Riser Interrupt LED. It├в s definitely NOT on.