New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G3 & G4 Error rebuild

SOLVED
Go to solution
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

DL380 G3 & G4 Error rebuild

Hy all,

I have 200 servers dl 380 g3 & g4,but 2 days a go one of my server keel giving me failurepredictive, so i changed the hard drive,but it would not rebuild the hard and the tec on site,just change a seconde hard drive for the same predisctivefailure ...and naturely we got a blue screen of death!
So they put the new drive in....still nothing!!
So we put back the second drive and you know what...still nothing!!
What happen here...why did the first drive did not rebuild? and why when we re-added the old drive it did not restart!

So i test a dl380 g4 with a raid 0, and it did exactly same thing change seconde drive ,it would noth rebuild with a new drive,so we put the old drive back in...nothing we had to remove 2 drive ,reboot(no drive),reboot with a drive and the re-add the 2 drive,then it rebuilded ,why??
10 REPLIES 10
chongkan
Trusted Contributor

Drives are not rebuilding because your'e having errors on more than one HDD on both servers.

0- Upgrade firmware.
1- Run ADU (Array Diagnostics Utility)
2- Place Report.txt on the same folder that the attached file and execute the attached file or Attach the reports so I can analize them.
3- If errors on more than one drive, reseat backplane, cables and drives, run ADU again.

Regards.
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

1# All my server are up to date
2# Report attache here
3# will wait for comment
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Hello Daniel,

As per the .txt,firmwares are'nt the latest both on the 6i and the disks.

Check http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00677430&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

BF0368A4B9 is listed.

So before suspecting/replacing any hardware, i would suggest to boot off the firmware cd and update all the ROM's.

I know you would definetely have this,anyways
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/24819.html

SRH
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

The hard drive were change anyway and finaly we had to redo the server, this hard drive are 33.91 Gb.

chongkan
Trusted Contributor

Analizing report..
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Do you mean its all ok now or the attached report is after replacing the disks and rebuiding the server?

SRH
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

It after replacing the disk and we redid the server.

We talk directly with HP & Microsoft at the same time to rebuild the server with redoing from scratch, we could not rebuild the old system ,so we did a brand new one!

Alot of time to redo a server also...crap!
chongkan
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Well,

In your case firmware was OK 2.58 v is not the latest version but I haven't found any problems with this version. Plus it was working before.. (HP is always gonna ask you for latest version)

This is the last state in the log: (Have a friend at tech support)

EV Record: 28
Logical Drive
Surface Init Complete

Date: 09-22-2006
Time: 11:57:11 Logical drive: 0x02

0005:: 0002:: 0000:: 0000:: 00000002:: 00000000:: 00000000:: 00000000:: 00000000:: 07d60916:: 0000a817

Al errors are from 12-13 dyas ago, so when did this happened?

Any way, having errors on more than one HDD atteh same time will cause teh rebuild of teh first drive to be queued until te errors on the second drive stops. Thats why your first drive wasn't rebuilding properly.

Another question:

"so i changed the hard drive,but it would not rebuild the hard and the tec on site,just change a seconde hard drive for the same predisctivefailure ...and naturely we got a blue screen of death!
So they put the new drive in....still nothing!!
"

Did the Onsite Tech replaced a second drive before teh first drive finished teh rebuild?

If so, that's the reason why your logical drive was lost, if he did so he killed a second drive on a non-fault tolerant RAID 5...