1753840 Members
8674 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion

DL380 G3 and 5302 array controller

Laszlo Somi

DL380 G3 and 5302 array controller

Hi all,

We are trying to configure a DL380G3 using a 5302 array controller installed in PCI slot 1. We would like the 5302 to control both channels of the duplex backplane. The documentations I have seen show a duplex configuration where SCSI 0 and 1 are connected to the internal 5Si controller and the second channel SCSI ID 2, 3, 4, 5 are connected to an external SCSI controller like the 5302.

Questions:
- Can we use only the 5302 SCSI controller to control both side of the duplex backplane?
- Assuming the answer to the above is yes, how do I disable the internal SCSI controllers (5si and the two SCSI3)?
- I have heard that we might experience boot problems unless we use the internal 5Si controller to boot the OS. Could somone confirm or deny this?

Thanks in advance,

--Laszlo--
1 REPLY 1
Chanler Childs
Frequent Advisor

Re: DL380 G3 and 5302 array controller

We have done this and it does work. The server will have the red fault light on, but functions normally. The 5i can be disabled in bios.

I believe we terminated both connections on the backplane and ran 2 cables to the pci based controller. Its a tight fit. You'll need a spare terminator and cable from another server, or ordered as replacements.