1753797 Members
8297 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

DL380 G3 and BBWC installation

Gustav Uhlander

DL380 G3 and BBWC installation

Hello.

Read some posts regarding the install of the BBWC on a DL380 G3. I found the BBWC with part number 255514-b21 that i now have in my hand.

I tried to intstall it but ran into trouble. i cant quite understand how it is supposed to fit together.
I see the cable running from under the PCI bridge on the motherboard to the front of the server but cant find where it is connected. Is it connected at all? I tried pulling lightly on it but it didnt come out so i presume its connected somewhere under the drives?
Also is it this cable im supposed to connect to the Battery card? If so am i supposed to use the cable that sits on the motherboard or the one that is included with the BBCW.
1 REPLY 1
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380 G3 and BBWC installation

Welcome to the ITRC Forums!

The Maintenance and Service Guide for a DL380 G3:

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00065010/c00065010.pdf

The one end of the BBWC cable should go to the memory module on the SmartArray controller, located under the PCI card slots. See the picture on page 59 of the Guide (linked above).

To check, you will need to remove the PCI riser card cage, page 30.

The actual battery card should be located near the front right corner of the server. There is a small "pocket" where the battery card fits in nicely.See the picture on page 43.

Removing the front fan bracket may help in routing the cable properly. See page 40.

If the original battery is installed into a non-standard location (I've seen one inexperienced installer do this), you may have to temporarily remove the drives and/or other components to gain access. Use the removal & replacement procedures listed in the Maintenance Guide (above) as necessary.

I seem to recall that the battery cable is permanently connected at the battery end, but I could be wrong.

MK
MK