1752594 Members
2939 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 G3 and GHOST

Stijn Mahieu_1
Occasional Contributor

DL380 G3 and GHOST

Is it possible to clone a DL380 G3 with a RAID 1 configuration? Has anyone got experience with creating a boot floppy containing the Raid controller drivers to allow Symantec GHOST to access the drives for reading?
6 REPLIES 6
Linda Ruiz
Advisor

Re: DL380 G3 and GHOST

It is possible if you use Bart's BootDisk. As far as I can tell, we didn't load SCSI drivers in order to access the drives hooked up to the Smart Array controllers. We ghosted Proliant 1850Rs, a DL380 Gen1s and DL380 Gen3s using his boot disk. We ghosted the images up to a server (use the B57 driver from his site - if you're using the builtin Broadcom NICs).

If you use his "Auto create" option as a baseline and add B57 driver to the lib/ndis subdirectory of your boot disk, then you should be able to boot, connect to a network share and then ghost away. BTW we put our DOS version of ghost in a separate subdirectory on that same server the ghost image share is.

See:
http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/network/ and
http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/modboot/
James Swarm
Occasional Advisor

Created a WinPE CD with the DL360 Drivers and Ghost32 for WinPE. Use it all the time on everything and it works well.
Alex Estrada

I tried that boot disk and when booting off of it I am getting to the point where autoexec is executing and I get the message Autoexec : Aborted.....any ideas?

Alex
John_509

Yes, we ghost DL380 G3 servers in RAID 1 configuration with Windows 2000 server.
Steps:
1. Create server with loaded software on C: partition.
2. On Second physical disk/array create Fat 16 partion of 2 GB using Disk Administrator and format. Must use second physical disk so DOS can access this fat partition. Second physical disk only needed to create ghose image.
3. Run "Sysprep -PNP to finish up image and shutdown server. Can download sysprep exe from Microsoft at http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/tools/sysprep/default.asp
4. Put sysprep.exe in C:\Sysprep and from C:\ cmd prompt C:\ type C:\sysprep\sysprep -PNP.
5. Boot Dos from Floppy. Put in Ghost Floppy and run ghost. Select Partition to image, and slelct High Compression. Put image on DOS Fat partition.
6. When Image is done creating, reboot server. PNP will find all devices and re-install drivers and services
7. When server is back on the network, copy ghost image to workstation with CD burner and purn ghost file to CD. I can get Windows 2000 image with Support tools and resource kit in an Under 700MB file (Use the new extended time CD's to burn to).
8. To get image to DL80 bring up server and create physical drive(s).
9. Use something like Partition Magic (Floppy version)to create and format NTFS partion of the size you desire.
10 Boot server with a DOS Floppy and CD Drivers (XP, or WIN 98 or ME rescue disk works). Put in CD with Server image. Use ghost to do image to partition. Select NTFS image you just formated. After image is copyed from CD ROM to HD reboot server. The mini setup and PNP runs and you have a new server loaded with all your settings from image.

Alex Estrada

Thanks for the reply John.
Norman Bui

Hi John,
From Step 8 & 9. How are you dealing with System Partition of Compaq server?

Thx,