Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380 G3 array migration

SOLVED
Go to solution
ops1453
Occasional Advisor

DL380 G3 array migration

Currently has 3 drives in RAID-5 plus 1 hot spare. The array contains both an OS and a data partion. I would like to add 2 drives and migrate to 2 mirrored drives for c: plus 4 drives in RAID-5 for d:. Can this be done without reinstalling the OS? (Running Win2K3 Std)

5 REPLIES
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: DL380 G3 array migration

From hardware array controller level (SmartArray 5i) you can migrate from RAID5 to RAID1 (if you have enough space), but you cannot devide existing array on two (or more) arrays.
regards,
Andrzej Kowalik
Samnang
Advisor

Hi;

Acronis True Image Server software backup can help u full backup your OS without reinstall the OS

http://www.acronis.com

regard
samnang
ops1453
Occasional Advisor

I understand that I can't directly do this within ACU, but is there a path I could take that would make it faster than starting with the OS install?

If I add drives so I can convert the array to level 1, could I then delete the data partition and resize the array to just the first pair or drives? Then I could create a level 5 array on the remainig drives for the data partition. Would this work? Or should I backup the OS using Acronis, then reconfigure the arrays as I want them, then reinstall the OS from the Acronis backup?

I need to do this, so I need to find the best path. (Meaning fastest, and without starting at the OS install.)

Samnang
Advisor

Please See feature of Acronis true image server backup software!!!
just backup your OS partition to other pc through LAN then you can reconfigure Array after this task finish restore your image back. it's too fast---

i used to perform this task and only 15mn to 30mn to finish
chongkan
Trusted Contributor

Hey ops,

0- Make your OS partition the same size it will be in the raid 1 using partition magic or something you know.

1- Backup your OS.
2- Backup your data.
3- Add new drives to channel 1 and create a raid 1 with ACU.
4- Load OS in raid 1, extend and expand to maximun available size.
5- Add 4th drive to raid 5 extend and expand to maximun availble space.

or

5- Leave the 4th drive as spare and expand the partition to use the old C: partition size.

Regards.