1748034 Members
5116 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G3 hangs on post with usb drive plugged in

Dhiresh Vyas
Occasional Advisor

DL380 G3 hangs on post with usb drive plugged in

I have a dl380 g3 that hangs while rebooting with a SimpleTech external USB drive plugged in. Before the smartarray controller loads, I get an error that says

602 - Diskette boot record error.

There is no diskette in the floppy drive.

So far, I have flashed the bios to the latest firmware, as I saw another thread where that resolved the issue. I have also verified that my smartarray controller is listed as the first boot device.

Is there anything else I should try?

8 REPLIES 8
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Hi Dhiresh

The ProLiant DL380 G3 provides both standard USB support and legacy USB support. Standard support is provided by the operating system (OS) through the appropriate USB device drivers. Hp provides support for USB devices prior to the operating system loading through legacy USB support, which is enabled by default in the system ROM.

Try disabling legacy USB support in system ROM

Regards
Mahesh
Dhiresh Vyas
Occasional Advisor

Mahesh,

I could not find the option for USB support on the bios, so what I did instead was disabled booting from the floppy drive and it fixed my problem.

Thank for pointing me in the right direction to resolve this issue.
Robert Byrne_1

I tried the disable Floppy Boot as well, but with the USB Drive powered on the system (DL380 G3) just stops after the RAID Array discovery and before the F9, F12, etc display. If I turn the USB Drive off boot continues. Any help would be appreciated.
Jon Ward
Trusted Contributor

Even with improved USB support with the latest ROM, USB support on the Proliant DL380 G3 is not as good as that on newer Proliant servers.

Consider formatting your USB storage device before connecting it to the DL380 G3. For instance, if it is a USB drive key, format it first. If the server does not like it formatted as a hard drive, format it as a 1.44 diskette device; it may be identified as a diskette drive rather than a USB key.

If the device is not critical during boot time, consider adding it after the OS has loaded.
Randy Middleton

Thank you.

Had the exact same error on a DL360 G2. 3 boots same. Power off the ext USB HD, two of them, and problem went away.
Stephen1268
Occasional Advisor

I found the same error. I had actually turned off an external Maxtor hard drive before booting. For the solution, I turned the external hard drive back on and then disconnected 1 USB bluetooth device and it booted fine. Unfortunately, the server only uses the original USB.

For you, I recommend disconnecting all USB devices and then rebooting. Then you can plug the device back in.
scristaldi
Occasional Visitor

Unplugging the external usb drive will not help if you need it for recovery.

jcartner-young
Collector

HI,

I have a DL380 G3 with 6 36.4 GB drives, but I'm looking to add more storage. The most obvious (and least expensive) choice is a USB drive.

However, I connect it and it works fine in Windows, only to stop the system boot.

It is frustrating to me as I kind of expected it to be able to cope with a USB hard disk :/

Does anyone have an answer to this or is this going to remain an unfixed issue?

I've been trying to find a solution for a while now, but to no avail.

I'm currently looking at somehow turning the power on to the hard drives (via some mechanism yet to be contrived) after Windows has loaded, but I would prefer it if the product (BIOS?) could be fixed.

Many thanks for any help you can give me. :)

James.