5044 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G3 no POST no video no iLO connection

Milovan
Occasional Advisor

DL380 G3 no POST no video no iLO connection

Just for the record!
DL380 G3 after power outage, no POST, no video, no iLO connection, no boot. All LEDтАЩs have OK status.

Changed system board and server are alive.
7 REPLIES 7
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Milovan,
Was that a query ? Or were you informing us ?

Indeed interesting when you say the LEDs were green for a dead server; I guess there is no real explanation for it; or is there ?

Thanks though !

Regards,
James.
Milovan
Occasional Advisor

I just inform ITRC community. If somebody would have same situation and do search here, he would have answer from my experience to. One member here have same case and his answer helped me decide what to do. His thread is closed and I opened new thread.

On the customer site are four more DL380 G3 servers. These servers survived power outage. All servers are on the UPS but power outage was surprisingly long and during the weekend.

Best regards,
Milovan.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi Milovan

It would be a great idea if you let us know what was the troubleshooting you did on the server so at the end you determined that the SB was bad I mean:

did you reseat the components?
did you swap component with another dl380 g3?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Milovan
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
I dismantled the server from the rack. Lay down it on the table, connected the other monitor, keyboard and mouse. Connected power cables, switch on the server, no picture, no beep. Can't ping iLO IP address. External LED's and all internal LED's are OK. I pooled out all memory modules and server beeps and memory error LED's becomes amber. Reseat memory modules, but no luck. Reseat PPM's, PCI Riser Cage (which is empty).
I didn't reseat processors but iLO should work after reconnecting power cables.
I found post from Stefan Koch (Mar 5, 2006 12:34:35 GMT) with the same symptoms, consult with my colleague and decide to ask for system board. Server is on the warranty, luckily.

Best regards,
Milovan.
Loren Hudson

I have been experiencing the same issues as Milovan. We have two like servers both Dl380's G3. And occasionally when you shut them down they will not power back up, instead you get nothing at all. The lights on the boards show all green; there are no error codes or sound. All you do get is just HD lights and fans.

I have found 2 ways to get the machines to boot and that is to change the memory modules in slots 0 and 1 with other memory. Once doing this the machine boots and shuts down great, however after a month of running if you shut the machine down again it gives the same problems. Putting back the original problem memory allows will allow it to boot so it├в s not like any of the memory is bad. If you leave the server off for 24 or more hours you can boot it without changing any memory at all (this is the 2nd way). I have tested all memory modules and they each have passed over 500 tests over a long weekend. And I have 3 working sets of memory.

I have tried Bios updates, firmware updates, new memory and the problem persists. I have tried updating Ilo, and the software respectively. This has not resolved the issue for this server.

I will order a new mother board but I wanted to hear from HP that they are aware of this problem and that a new Mother board will in fact fix it. It takes like a month to replicate the problem so it├в s not an easy issue to fix. And it├в s not like you will see a post from me saying yup new mother board fixed it unless 2-3 months pass without problems. Right now I can tell you firmware, bios, software, new memory does not fix the problem and that├в s because I been working with it for a good 6 months.

So PLEASE if you did replace the motherboard and it has been working now for a few months or more and you are confident it was the actual fix please post back.
Chris Enslow

Thank you for letting the community know. Since many here are not admitting to this serious hardware bug - it's a serious hardware bug in the G3 series. Something happens to this server every time there's a power hit/outage/etc and we have many, many other types of HP Proliant servers in our server room. This is the only one that causes these problems.

Reseating cards doesn't do anything. Reseating power did not help. Setting the "switch 6" to clear NVRAM worked for other problems - not this one.

We have a call for a CE to bring a new mother board. He won't have the part in hand until tomorrow morning. :-/
Occasional Visitor

Very odd situation today. We had a power outage overnight. Came in the morning two servers both DL380 g3 faulty. After reseating everything, going back to basics trying to boot with minimal config, NVram reset (five hours of tomfoolery and two system boards on order) we had a minor accident and the ILO cable on one server got accidentally pulled, the server was then powered and it booted all OK.

So we went to the second server with the same issue I.E. it appears to be booted under the hood (Drives NICs all LEDS lit correctly) but no video or ILO capability and no KVM, so we pulled the ILO cable. The server booted all ok.

Regards
Graeme Finch
Site Engineer AON (Devonshire Square EC2M 4PL)
a&o Services
Prescott Road, Colnbrook
Slough, SL3 0AE
Tel: +44 (0) 207 086 0344 - Internal: 300344 (onsite)
Mobile: +44 (0) 7515 608646
Tel: +44 (0) 871 971 8800 (head office)
a&o services: http://services.aogroup.co.uk/