ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752801 Members
5465 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G3 "memory parity error" problems

Stephen Collopy

Ok I'm back and we have this issue all resolved. We are running Windows 2003 servers.

This problem relates to not being able to write to the security log, even if your log file is under the specified limits according to documentation.

If you have a stop error of this sort a flag will set in the registry on your server this can be found at HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\control\lsa the flag name is crashonauditfail if this is set to the value of 2 then you are running in an unsupported state. This setting is set to 2 to allow an administrator to log on and clear the security event log and restart the server (which sets it back to the value of 1).

We have found the policy setting which causes this and have turned it off. This setting can be found in computer configuration\windows settings\security settings\local policies\security options
audit: shut down system immediately if unable to log security events. we set ours to disabled.

We are no longer getting the stop errors, and we are finding that our servers frs service is communicating correctly (a by product of our original problem).

I hope this helps..

Regards
Stephen
Stephen Dubrosky
Occasional Advisor

Stephen, Do you have the same exact servers (though you are running 2003 and we are not)? And are you coming up with the same exact memory parity errors as we are? or something else (a possibly mismatched error code?)?
Miles Ashley Edwards
Occasional Advisor

That actually helps me out none. I'm running NT4.0 and getting the "memory parity error". It has nothing to do with a security log or a security audit. That error has never occured.
Stephen Dubrosky
Occasional Advisor

That security log problem is something totally different with us too. Not the same problem at all. We are still getting the parity error on our servers. HP is replacing the motherboard (temporary relief) and we are replacing the RAM chips (brand new) on our own, which so far has given us the greatest relief.
Miles Ashley Edwards
Occasional Advisor

I've tried replacing the RAM chips and that didn't seem to have any affect. When we get a new mobo in from HP, we still use the same RAM from the old mobo and haven't had the issue come back.

I spoke with a Regional VP from HP on Tuesday regarding this matter. He wanted me to get him every serial number for every G3 server my company uses and then HP would look over the S/N to see what boards were affected and issue new ones. Since we have the servers all over the world, this is not an option and would take entirely too long. I asked if he could just get us a lot of 25 mobo to keep around when it happens and then send the bad one to them and he didn't want to do that. HP customer service at their finest. I'll keep you informed when I talk with them.
Stephen Dubrosky
Occasional Advisor

Miles Ashley Edwards, You may contact me directly at my internet account: sjdubrosky@yahoo.com . for more insight. I work for the U S Government and we are having gov server problems. We switched from Dell last year and we are very sorry. Feel free to contact me. Thanks and keep up the good work.