1752781 Members
5946 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G3 - reinstalling W2K, setup cannot copying file from disk drive

iDOn_1
Occasional Advisor

DL380 G3 - reinstalling W2K, setup cannot copying file from disk drive

I have DL380 G3 with 5i array controller and 2x 36.4GB Ultra320 scsi on raid 1. Few days ago, a blue screen came out. I have tried to repair the OS using it's CD, but still not working. When I try to reinstall w2k server, setup cannot copy driver files from disk drive.

Could someone help me out of this?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

iDOn
9 REPLIES 9
iDOn_1
Occasional Advisor

Forget something:
if I run setup from SmartStart 7.10 without reconfiguring array (using latest array confiuration), would it be destroyed all data on harddrisk?

thanks,

iDOn
Caster Troy
Regular Advisor

I think unfortunately YES in case of smart start because smart start will recognize the RAID but not the logical partitions if created in OS. This is a BIG drawback of smart start installation for re-installing crashed windows operating systems. Do the W2K Server CD recognize previous partitions, in this case try installing with another cd it may solve the problem.
Evil Has Its Winning Ways
iDOn_1
Occasional Advisor

Troy, thanks for prompt relpy. I've tried to install a new fresh installation either, but still not working. The problem is that, setup has failed when trying to copy smart array 5i driver from disk drive. I thought that the disk drive were broken, but it seems fine coz I can copy an analyzing report from SmartStart to a disk.
Caster Troy
Regular Advisor

"setup has failed when trying to copy smart array 5i driver from disk drive" from which disk drive do the driver needs to be copied, the bootable cd should pick up the previous partitions information without the need of any driver to be copied
iDOn_1
Occasional Advisor

"the bootable cd should pick up the previous partitions
information without the need of any driver to be copied", I know that and I was hoping that setup do that when I first came to this problems, but unfortunately, someone before me has doing something wrong and leave me with this problem.
Caster Troy
Regular Advisor

Then I am afraid you may have to face complete data loss and reconfigure your server with smart start
iDOn_1
Occasional Advisor

I've just told by someone who faced this machine before that he had tried to install with new installation either and pushing L key when prompted (L key : erase all old winnt directory). I believe that this is why bootable CD didn't pick up the previous partitions informations.

But why windows setup cannot copying driver's files from a disk drive? it seems setup can't write into the harddisk.

Help!!! :(

Caster Troy
Regular Advisor

"Setup cant write into the Hard Disk" this appears not to be possible. what error do u get in case of smart start.
iDOn_1
Occasional Advisor

it happened to me. :) I've used usb-FloppyDrive, but still the same.

I'm not using smartstart up till now because I'm affraid that it will destroy the data, or it wont??