108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 G3 slow hard disk performance

Patrik Gittler
Occasional Contributor

DL380 G3 slow hard disk performance

Hi to all.
First excuse my bad english.
I do have an DL380 G3 with 2 Xeon Processors.
And i have 2 36GB Disks installed and mirrored and 4 72GB Disks as Raid 5. With the 2 36GB Disk everything is fine.
But on the 4 72GB Disk the Activity LED is always on. Never blinking. Always on. And i do know that these Servers are fast. But this one is slow in read and write on the disk.
Where did i made a mistake in the configuration?
Thanks for any help.
3 REPLIES 3
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380 G3 slow hard disk performance

Is there a lot of i/o on this server that goes to the raid-5 disks? Have you checked the status of the array controller and the raid5 array using ACU/ADU? The controller should have a BBWC option, does it? If it does, check the status of the battery, if the battery has a problem, the controller disables the caching feature and this can have huge negative impact on the i/o.
Patrik Gittler
Occasional Contributor

Hello.
First thanks for ur reply.
I checked the traffic late in the night and on sundays. Nobody was working and there was no i/o on the raid-5 disks.
I do have to check the status of the controller again.
The controller has a BBWC. The battery was damaged when i set up the server. Later i changed the battery with a good one. But nothing happend to the activity LED.
And as fas as i understood, i did activated the cache again. But still i think this server is very slow.
TTr
Honored Contributor

Verify the status of all the raid components with ACU/ADU again.

> the Activity LED is always on. Never blinking.

Do you hear the disk heads grinding or are the disks completely quiet and are only spinning with no i/o? Maybe the disk ID light is ON for all the disks. Look on page 57 "Identifying devices" of http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00729544/c00729544.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN