HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380 G3 won't boot after smartstart - can't select boot controller

Mark Shepherdson
Occasional Visitor

DL380 G3 won't boot after smartstart - can't select boot controller

This has me stumped...
I have inherited a DL380 G3 and wanted to install Win 2003.

The server was accquired with 3 disks and these were installed and the server booted.
I ran the ACU and added the disks to an array, all pretty obvious so far.

I downloaded smartstart v7.60 and wrote the ISO out to CD. This booted fine and Smartstart went through its thing, asking me for the target OS, I selected win2003 and entered the serial number when prompted. The server rebooted and that seemed to be OK. I put the Windows 2003 CD in the drive and it wouldn't boot.

Smartstart wouldn't boot either, I looked in the RBSU and the IPL order seems to be OK, CD, Floppy, C: then PXE.

The controller order seems to be the trouble, the smart array 6i is set as controller 1 and teh PCI IDE (Which I assume the CD is connected to) is set to controller 2 and no matter what I press or do I can't change this order.

Searching these forums, I set the maint switch position 6 to on, the server boots and then says it needs teh switch moving back to get out of maintenance mode, I have reseated the CD, erased the NVRAM and boot disk without any joy at all.

It did work, it booted smartstatt once.

What does smart start change? It sems to have altered the boot order. How do I change it back?

I downloaded the manuals and have searched the PDFs without any joy.

Any suggestions much appreciated...

Many thanks in advance...
2 REPLIES
Mark Shepherdson
Occasional Visitor

Re: DL380 G3 won't boot after smartstart - can't select boot controller

Update...

It now works.

I installed a RIS server and put a Win2K3 R2 boot image on it, PXE picked it up and started to load windows. This failed at the disk formating stage (5i Array controller).
After a reboot, the message had changed to non system disk or disk error, I used the ROMPAQ disk to update the firmware to the latest version and it booted from the floppy.

After this I was able to boot directly on the Win 2K3 CD and install OK.

I assume something got corrupted in the NVR and it couldn't find the CD drive.

Odd how it wouldn't boot from the CD, FDD, Array or anything until the PXE had bombed out.

Ah well...
Mark Shepherdson
Occasional Visitor

Re: DL380 G3 won't boot after smartstart - can't select boot controller

Happily the server is now fine.