1753383 Members
5780 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G4 2 bad drives

Robert Brothers
Frequent Advisor

DL380 G4 2 bad drives

Hi I have a DL380 G4 with 2 bad drives in a raid 5 set. I dont think the drives are bad. any ideas.. I tried pulling 1 bad drive out and rebooting then the other no luck..
4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello Rob,

is there a steady red light on? If yes, the drives are marked defect. IMHO no way to bringt them back. The controller has it's own defect list, and the drives will be in this list.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

if you have raid 5 configuration, the raid is protected only for one HDD failure, 2 disk failure is no way to make the raid functional, all data are gone.

mikap
Robert Brothers
Frequent Advisor

Not the solution I am looking for:( I hate tape!! here is a wacky idea. If it is true that the drives are marked bad in a list. Is there a way to put them in another system and try booting it if the drives are not really bad? Then replace those drives that the other system thought was bad then return them to the system?
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello Rob,

you have to put all drives, that belong to the array into another. Shutdown the source server, shutdown the destination server. Pull all drives and put them into the destination server, start this server and hope that the smart array will detect the array. This will only work if the destination server is also a HP ProLiant with a Smart Array controller.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick