1753774 Members
6828 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G4 ADS problem

David_902

DL380 G4 ADS problem

Hi all

I've read through numerous post related to ADS issues and the G4 - I've changed the IRQ settings which now works fine, I've updated the firmware for the array controller, downloaded the latest drivers and put them in both the postsystem and presystem.

I can boot to the deployment agent no problem. Whenever i try to capture an image if gets an error message "failed to open volume"

In the event logs it has the 771 error message saying it could not find the driver in the list PCI\VEN_0E11........

Is there anything i'm missing here?

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Peter Wolter
Occasional Advisor

David,
I was able to get around this by starting a Windows 2000 install and creating the signature on disk and creating a partition and then F3 to exit...just a work around...not very nice if you have a lot of boxes...
Peter Wolter
Occasional Advisor

David,
My bad. Looks like you are having trouble on the capture end...this soulds like you are not getting the drivers for the smart array loaded properly. Here are the right ones for DL380 G4 for windows 2000/2003 http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22369.html

You will have to use the work around in Microsoft Knowledge Base articles 829053 and 830413

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829053

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;830413

David_902

Hi Peter, Thanks for the reply. I'm already using those drivers. I logged a call with HP and they seem to have no knowledge of this issue and suggested i log the call with Microsoft.

Peter Wolter
Occasional Advisor

David,
You did modify the inf files or are using the hotfixes for ADS? I am just asking because I have gotten this working in my environment. I would be happy to send you the modified INF files I used if you want.
Regards,
Peter
David_902

Hi Peter

This is the last thing i've tried to date.

1) Boot the server into the RBSU using F9
2) Go to Advanced Options Menu and Clear NVRAM
3) Reboot the Server
4) Boot the server into the RBSU using F9
5) Go to PCI devices and change the IRQ for the SmartArray 6i to IRQ7
6) Go within PCI devices to NIC 1 and change (apply again) the IRQ to IRQ5 and press Enter
7) Go within PCI devices to NIC 2 and change (apply again) the IRQ to IRQ5 and press Enter
(manually select IRQ 5 although its already selected is needed to really fix it to this value instead of automatic selection by the BIOS).
8) Go out of the RBSU and reboot the server

This solved the PXE boot issue, but now when I get in to the Deployment Agent it fails to recognise the SCSI drives, the capture image process and deploy image process would get the Failed to Load Volume Error. At that stage it would also get an error in the event log on the deployment server stating that it failed to the load the drivers from the repository. So I followed the next steps

1)Updated array controller with the latest version from the HP website.

2)created \$oem$\textmode folder and put in these drivers.
cpqcissm.cat
cpqcissm.inf
cpqcissm.sys
txtsetup.oem
cpqcisse.inf
cpqcisse.sys
cpqcisse.dll
cpqcisse.cat

3)created $oem$\$1\divers\storage

put in these drivers:
cpqcissm.cat
cpqcissm.inf
cpqcissm.sys
txtsetup.oem
cpqcisse.inf
cpqcisse.sys
cpqcisse.dll
cpqcisse.cat

4)I edited the unattend.txt and added the following:

[Unattended]
UnattendMode = FullUnattended
OemPreinstall = yes
OemPnPDriversPath = \Drivers\storage

[MassStorageDrivers]
"Smart Array 6i, 641, 642, 6400, 6400EM Controllers" = OEM

[OEMBootFiles]
cpqcissm.cat
cpqcissm.inf
cpqcissm.sys
cpqcissm.oem
cpqcisse.inf
cpqcisse.sys
cpqcisse.dll
cpqcisse.cat

5)Looked for traces of the cpqcissm.dll in the txtsetup.oem to be removed
So it looks something like this
[Files.scsi.0046]
driver = d1,cpqcissm.sys,cpqcissm
inf = d1,cpqcissm.inf
catalog = d1,cpqcissm.cat

This got rid of the driver failing to load from repository in the event log but still receives the Failed to Load Volume error in ADS. Which indicates it still doesn't see the SCSI drives. We have no problems with Previous generations on 380's and 360's
David_902

It would be great if you could attach the nic and array .sys, .inf, .cat files.

There may be some difference in the driver versions that could be causing the issue. The hotfixes don't need installing on SP1. In saying that i did try all this on a non sp1 box first with the hotfixes.

Thanks
David
Peter Wolter
Occasional Advisor

David,
I downloaded this driver http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22369.html

1. Download the proper NIC and RAID Controller drivers for your server from the Internet.

2. Expand or extract the drivers to C:\Program Files\Microsoft\ADS\Nbs\Repository\User\PreSystem on the ADS Server.

3. Locate and then change the following text in the Oemsetup.inf file or the vendor├в s inf file (for the DL380 these were cpqcisse.inf, cpqcissm.inf for the RAID controller and q57win32.inf for the NIC).

Note This step uses an example from the vendor-supplied cpqcisse.inf file for an Smart Array 6i Controller. The vendor-supplied .inf file that you use may have different values, but the syntax is similar.

4. Locate the following text:

Cpqcisse.inf

[Manufacturer]
%COMPAQ%=COMPAQ_HDC, ntx86, ntia64, ntamd64

Cpqcissm.inf

[Manufacturer]
%COMPAQ%=COMPAQ_HDC, ntx86, ntia64

Q57win32.inf
[Manufacturer]
%HPQ% = HPQ, NTx86.5.1

5. Change the line to the following by removing the comma between "COMPAQ_HDC" and " ntx86":
And change to:

Cpqcisse.inf

[Manufacturer]
%COMPAQ%=COMPAQ_HDCntx86

Cpqcissm.inf
[Manufacturer]
%COMPAQ%=COMPAQ_HDCntx86

Q57win32.inf
[Manufacturer]
%HPQ% = HPQNTx86.5.1

6. Change the value in the "Model" section that is associated with the value in the "Manufacturer" section of the file so that the model value matches the value in the "Manufacturer" section. To find the associated "Model" section, search for text that is similar to the text on the right side of the equal sign in the "Manufacturer" section. In this example, search for COMPAQ_HDC.ntx86.

7. In the "Model" section, locate the following text:
Cpqcisse.inf
[COMPAQ_HDC.ntx86]

Cpqcissm.inf
[COMPAQ_HDC.ntx86]

Q57win32.inf
[HPQ.NTx86.5.1]

8. Change the text to the following by removing the period between " COMPAQ_HDC " and " ntx86":

Cpqcisse.inf
[COMPAQ_HDCntx86]

Cpqcissm.inf
[COMPAQ_HDCntx86]

Q57win32.inf
[HPQNTx86.5.1]

9. Save the .inf file to the Deployment Agent Builder service repository (again this is C:\Program Files\Microsoft\ADS\Nbs\Repository\User\PreSystem).

10. Restart the Deployment Agent Builder service, boot the device into the Deployment Agent, and then view the Deployment Agent Builder service log to see if a driver for the hardware device has been installed.

In this step, device is the device that contains the hardware device that is associated with the vendor-supplied .inf file that you modified.

These steps are a work around for ADS if the following patches are not applied as described in the following technet articles:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829053
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;8304
Peter Wolter
Occasional Advisor

David,
the Q57win32.inf is from the NIC driver.