New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G4 - Boot Up + Fans

Lash J
Advisor

DL380 G4 - Boot Up + Fans

Hi there,

Got a DL380 G4 which is refusing to boot up,

Symptoms are:

- The 2 fans at the back have Amber LEDs on.
- Does not respond to Power Switch, the server boots immediately when connected to power source, and only way to turn it off is by removing the power cord.
- Mid plane fans run at full rpm.
- Status LEDs on the board in AMBER: BI, IE, NM.

I am suspecting a faulty board, but is there any other way of confirming this?

I don't have a spare 380 G4 board spare to test it out.

I want to be sure about it before ordering another one.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Miroslav Kos
Advisor

Maybe both fans at the back are failed. Try to replace one of that fans with one most left or most right fan from the front. Then server should work but indicating that fan failed.
Or if you have 2 CPU's, try only with one CPU and without redundant fans. Just one at the back of server and without most left and most right fan on the front of the server.
Lash J
Advisor

Thanks for the reply Miroslav Kos,

I already did those tests during the day,

- Swapped the fans at the back with various combinations from the front ones, no change, they both still light up as AMBER at power on.

- tried booting the server with minimum config, swap of DIMMS, swap of CPU, replacing the riser, replacing the front fan cage.

still no luck.

I've been reading also quite a lot of people have been having the same issue of BI, IE, NM status LEDS lighting up on the boards, but nothing much help from HP.

I guess I can still go for the system board swap, but, not sure yet if it will solve the problem.

Miroslav Kos
Advisor

I forgot to write that you should do a Firmware upgrade to latest versions. Don't know what else could be the problem.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Access iLO and look in the Integrated Management Log for messages about what is happening when you try to power-on.
Lash J
Advisor

Miroslav Kos,

I don't think updating the FW is a solution because the server does not even boot.

---

David Claypool,

thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately ILO was not set by the customer when he was using the server.