108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G4 - External backup tape drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
MiniCwik
Occasional Advisor

DL380 G4 - External backup tape drive

I am trying to connect an external backup drive to an HP DL380 G4 using the external SCSI port on the back of the on-board SCSI card.

I've connected an HP DLT 40/80 tape drive, made sure the other SCSI port (SCSI out) was terminated and when I boot the DL380 I get the following error message:

"Single sided SCSI enclosure or device attached. This controller model only supports LVD enclosures and devices."
6 REPLIES 6
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor
Solution

The DLT40/80 drives are Single Ended (SE) devices. You need and LVD (Low Voltage Differential) tape drive to connect it to the external connector of the Smart Array 6i controller. So you need either dedicated PCI-X SCSI HBA, or you need buy a new LVD tape drive. And although you can connect a tape drive to the SA-6i, it is always recommended to uses dedicated SCSI HBA for tape drives.
MiniCwik
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Marek, I am going to pick up a PCI-X SCSI HBA card to connect the DLT40/80 drive.

That is what you are saying I need in order for it to work, correct?

Otherwise, I would need to get a new LVD tape drive.

Thank you!
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

Yes, that is correct, new SCSI HBA _OR_ new LVD tape drive.
MiniCwik
Occasional Advisor

Thank you Marek, I will give it a shot as soon as I receive the new card (hopefully Monday).
MiniCwik
Occasional Advisor

Here is the card I received, and connected the same drive and received the same error message upon boot.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11587_div/11587_div.HTML

Is it the drive or the card?

Thanks!
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

Well you've bought another RAID controller... You need a simple SCSI Host Bus Adapter (non-RAID):
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11943_div/11943_div.html