5398 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G4 Fails with 12GB of Memory (RAM) Fitted

Mark Sherwin_1
Advisor

DL380 G4 Fails with 12GB of Memory (RAM) Fitted

Has anyone seen this issue.
The situation is I have a Dl380 G4, I can fit 2x 4GB memory kits and everything is fine. It reads 8GB of RAM. When I fit the 3rd kit the Server refused to boot. It doesn't even get to the BIOS, but makes a very long pre bios beeeep and hangs.
I'm using the KTH-MLG4/4G Kingston kits. (yes I know, I should have bought HP). I have logged a call with Kingston as this is a supported configuration..
Thanks for any advice you may have. (apparently the DL380 G4 will be 16GB capable when the 8GB memory kits are released!!)
8 REPLIES 8
Steve Garry

We are experiencing this exact same issue, same config/setup everything as you. Have you found out anything else on this issue?
HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi

Are the memory modules compatible to work on this server,please check and make sure,also you can check if any firmware/BIOS upgrade is required,it is always better to stay with the latest firmware(which might fix the issue),you could still contact HP and ask for their suggestion on this.

Rgds

HGN
Mark Sherwin_1
Advisor

Further to my previous question.
I've had a response from Kingston and some advice from HP.
Here's the deal.
There's something called "rank" I'm not entirely sure what this does but ram can be single or duel rank.
The Kingston kits we have purchased (Kingston advised us to purchase this part, also have a look at the Kingston site http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=19817&mfr=HP%2FCompaq&model=ProLiant+DL380+G4&Sys=19817-HP%2FCompaq-ProLiant+DL380+G4&distributor=0&submit1=Search It even says ANY Combination of these DIMMS can be used to reach 12GB, there's also a statement on the Kingston site explaining the Duel Rank issue which I just saw) BUGGER.
OK back to the issue.
The DL380g4 servers are capable of managing up to 8 ranks, this therefore means if your using duel rank ram each DIMM uses 2 ranks. Therefore 4x 2 ranks = 8 rank.
If you want to fit more RAM than 2 duel rank kits you'll need to purchase single rank memory kits.
Theory has it that you can therefore use 1x 4GB duel rank and 2x 4GB single rank kits to achieve 12GB BUT NO ONE will confirm this. Kingston say "ASK HP" guess what HP said.

Here are the Kingston part numbers for the 4GB kits.
Duel Rank KTH-MLG4/4G
Single Rank KTH-MLG4SR/4G

So there you have it..A simple answer to a complex question.
Arrr Computers ya gotta luv em..
By the way the single rank ram is considerably more expensive than the duel rank.

In response to HGN, yes firmware was updated, if you con't update to the Jan 2005 firmware duel Rank isn't supported at all..
Steve Garry

Thanks for the awesome information. We infact just called in a case with HP today. You will be pleased to hear that the HP technician told us today that this is a known problem with this model HP (DL380 G4). This HP technician also let us know that they are currently working on a BIOS update that should resolve this problem!! Well looks like we have to play the waiting game until we hear back. Hope this news helps ease some of your frustration just like it did for us, take care! :)
Mark Sherwin_1
Advisor

Thanks for the update Steve. If HP will come to the party with a BIOS update we'd be very pleased.
I'm in the process of discussing this with Kingston who have been very helpful.
Thanks for the info.
Mark Sherwin_1
Advisor

We have had confirmation from HP.
The basis is that this is a Hardware limitation due to the Intel Memory controller.

Bugger, so return your 4GB duel Rank kits (2 of them) or wait for the 8GB duel rank kits
Deadly Furby

Here's where you could have found the info.

Deadly Furby

Here's where I found the info.

http://ips.insight.com/site/config_fr.cfm?config=9

*Modules must be installed and ordered in like pairs. System addresses 8 Ranks ONLY. To use 6 DIMMs or more, modules must be single-ranked. Use of dual rank kits are limited to the first two banks. The third bank must not be populated. Customers must install System ROMPaq 4.02 12/02/04 BEFORE installing dual rank kits.