cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380 G4 - Fan constantly operating at maximum speed

Danin Kebbe
Occasional Visitor

DL380 G4 - Fan constantly operating at maximum speed

Have six of these, out of the box with the fans constantly operating at high speed.
Did a search to find any documented issues like this with no luck.
4 REPLIES
Mark_601
Frequent Advisor

Re: DL380 G4 - Fan constantly operating at maximum speed

Danin,

Here is some info on the fans;

To ensure optimum cooling, populate the primary fan locations, 2, 4, 5, 6, and 7, before populating the redundant locations.

Info from service guide:

In the ProLiant DL380 G3,(and I have to believe it the same for the G4) the system PAL automatically initializes the fan at low speed and a temperature-sensing device begins monitoring conditions inside the server as soon as the server is started. There are temperature-sensing devices in each of three zones; I/O, processor, and power supply. When any of these zones reaches a predefined limit, the fans in that zone are kicked to 100% to ensure proper temperature control in the system.
A hand-off of fan control occurs when the system health driver is installed or removed. Once installed, the health driver lets the system PAL know that it is ready to take over and all fan control is handed over to the health driver. If the health driver is uninstalled or turned off, fan control is handed back over to the system PAL. One advantage of using the health driver for fan control instead of the system PAL is that the health driver has the capability to step the fan speed up and down in increments to account for changes in temperature. The System PAL only knows two speeds: low and full.

Hope it help,

Regards,

Mark
Danin Kebbe
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the feed back...two things.
First my foul...they are 360G4's not 380's.
Second, in this thread:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=821957
It states that in the G4's the fan is controlled by the bios and not the driver...

Regardless, I will try both updates.
Could you tell me where I can find the health driver, couldnt find with which pakage it comes with... I am running windows 2003.

Thanks, and I will let you know which update resolves the issue...
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Danin Kebbe
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the link KOV...
Will give it a shot.