1748210 Members
2750 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G4 Fan noise problem, fresh install of Win2k3, latest PSP + FW

Mike X Li
Occasional Advisor

DL380 G4 Fan noise problem, fresh install of Win2k3, latest PSP + FW

We recently bought a used DL380 G4 with Dual 3.6Ghz, upon booting the system my initial impression is how loud the fans are.

We installed a fresh copy of Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise, along with PSP and latest FW upgrades.

I've searched over and over, most suggested updating with the latest PSP and FW will fix the problem, so we upgraded the system and installed all the drivers and software bundles in the PSP disk. The fans still won't spin down.

It's the same speed from power on.

In the HP Maintanance Home Page, under Insight diagnostic, all of the 8 fans are showing their speed as "Normal". Green LEDs on all of the fans.

I've also tried clearing the NVRM within the HP software, as well as using the DIP switch #6. Fans are still the same.

To test if the fans are working properly, I removed 1 of the redundant fans, the rest of the fans immediately spin up to high speed and they sound like they are having a lift off...

There's got to be a solution to this right?

This box is louder than 4 x Dell PE2950 combined (all of them have 2 x Quad Core Xeon 3.0Ghz, 4 x 15k SAS drives), the thermal generated by hardware shouldn't be much different.

Anyone has a solution please help!
23 REPLIES 23
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

I can recommend you if you have not done it yet

it is reseat all Fans
reseat power backplane
reseat power supplies
reseat riser cage

since I see you have done everything if my steps above do not work
I can say System Board is having issues.

bye

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Mike X Li
Occasional Advisor

I'll try your suggested methods... I did reseat all the fans and cleaned them with air blast cans...

but is the "Normal" fan speed reported in HP diagnostic tool really normal?

Does yours report a different fan speed ?

I know the fans are being controlled, if i pull one out, all others start spinning up like crazy.
Chris Rinker
Occasional Advisor

I have a DL380 G4 with a similar problem on Windows Server 2008 x64. The fans were fine after the initial OS install, but after installing PSP 8.11 they went full bore.

The fans are still normal during POST and initial OS boot, but kick to high gear every time during the OS bootup and continue full speed as long as windows is running.

I can see no errors, all fans report present and active, but I cannot find any RPM indications or controls.

I am fairly new to HP servers, so I am unfamiliar with the software. Please clue me in if I am missing something. I am not even sure where to start troubleshooting. It certainly looks to be driver(PSP) related, but could just be incomplete setup for all I know.

I just installed PSP 8.15A today, no change.
produKt
Occasional Contributor

I have a ml370g2 and had similar issues.

I installed the "HP ProLiant Advanced System Management Controller Driver for Windows Server 2003\2008" and now the fans stay at fullspeed during BIOS post, and up until it loads the driver during windows startup, then they go down to about 1/3rd the speed.

If the system is under stress and a temperature threshold is met, the fans spin up again until it's cooled down. Quite a good management system yet still too noisy for a home server.

Perhaps you can try the same thing i did?

And I note that you didn't say if you've checked the BIOS. Being a used server, i wouldn't be surprised if the fan speed was set to high - thus overriding all other settings
Mike X Li
Occasional Advisor

Could you tell me where did you download the HP ProLiant Advanced System Management Controller Driver ?

I tried searching for it but couldn't find any.

I had cleared the BIOS/NVRAM, by software and hardware. And there is no setting in BIOS for the fan control.

I've tried using the HP StartSmart CD to install OS, also directly from a Win2k3 CD, then install PSP. both method are same sults.
Chris Rinker
Occasional Advisor

I found that I was confused about the ROM version. I had P51 dated 2005, I needed P51 dated 2007.

I downloaded the ROM utility from the system drivers page at support.hp.com, ran the bootable floppy creator, booted the floppy and flashed the system ROM.

Did the trick for me. Fans had spun up to full speed right when Windows loaded, but now they've been running fine within Windows for several minutes.

Incidentally, then Insight manager reported their speeds as "normal" before, and the same now.
Mike X Li
Occasional Advisor

How loud is your fan now? If you were to put the server in a small room, next to your desk, would you survive being in the room for a day?

I've checked and checked, everything is up to update on my G4.

Are all of the fans on your G4 running at same speed all the time? on mine, all 8 fans are the same speed.

I don't see a reason for so many fans running at such high speed, it's just not so green and the life of the fans must be short.
Chris Rinker
Occasional Advisor

Before, I could not sit by it and I was really concerned about the life of the fans. Now, though I'd like not to sit next to it all day, it is only as loud as the rest of my servers.

What is the date of your P51 system ROM? Mine was 4/27/2005, now it is 7/19/2007.
Mike X Li
Occasional Advisor

Yes i checked the ROM version it is the latest 7/19/2007 one. and it says P51.

I think I have no choice but to sell the server and look for a quieter one...