cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380 G4 - How to configure without smart start

Derek Porrelli
Occasional Contributor

DL380 G4 - How to configure without smart start

I have a DL380 G4 with 2 x 72.8Gb Hd's. The software which I am installing will not work if the servers are configured using smart start(something to do with the 5gb per drive that gets taken up).

Is there any way to cofigure the logical drives so that at least 72Gb is free and not using smart start.

Thanks
5 REPLIES
Morcos
Super Advisor

Re: DL380 G4 - How to configure without smart start

Hi Derek,

Install the driver of the smart array, put it on a floppy, put the floppy into the server, and boot from the windows cd, and start installation and during it press F6 ( to take the driver on the floppy) and continue installation normally.

HTH
Ziad
Derek Porrelli
Occasional Contributor

I've tried this, but windows does not see any hd's to install windows on. Says there are no logical drives.
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I assume you have created an array using the F8 BIOS setup of the Smart Array 6i controller. Have you gone into RBSU (F9) and verified that the 6i is set as the boot controller? What OS are you installing (2000 or 2003?)
Also, 72.8GB on the disk means 72.8 billion bytes, which is not the same as 72.8 gigabytes. Dividing 72.8 billion by 1024 four times results in about 67.8, which is what Windows would report as it's disk space in gigabytes. Is this where you're getting this "missing" 5GB from?

Regards,
Stephen
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Derek, Stephen absolutely right.
SmartStart doesn't takes nothing from disk space.
In old Proliant servers (1600 and first generation of ML) RBSU was written to disk during SmartStart installation, but it is not you case - you have G4.
Derek Porrelli
Occasional Contributor

Thanks guys, that is what's up, kinda makes sense now.