5941 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G4 How to install Win 2008 walkthrough required

tricky4a
Advisor

DL380 G4 How to install Win 2008 walkthrough required

Hello All,

I have a pair of DL380 G4's and I have a Windows 2008 server DVD. I need to instal this onto said DL380 G4. What i need someone to answer is how they actually DID this, not how it COULD be done. I have tried HP Chat support, (my wrist slashing is now healing well), I have tried GOOGLE (100+ pages searched) in all the searching I have done (on and off now for 3 months) I have not found one person who has succesfully installed 2008 on a DL380 G4 and EXPLAINED how they did it.

However! I am willing to be proven wrong.

The HP support site is the worst I have experienced, a search for USB DVD DL380 G4 ops up an advert for shopping for USB for your HP Products!

I have been around computers for 30+ years, I built them for 5, tried Linux when there was no GUI available, so yes I have tried the obvious. May I respectfully ask, before you post your answer, if you THINK you know how, say you THINK, however if you KNOW, that would be great!

12 REPLIES 12
tricky4a
Advisor

Probably best explain why this is an issue. This is a proof of concept project, the software needs to run on Windows hence the win2008, then we will be remote monitoring of the server, as there will be around 500 remote sites monitored. We currently have a DELL 2450 running a similar project, but we had some of these DL380's to hand so started with them. The MD is now jumping over me! The way we work is we develop a proof of concept, then upscale it and send it out to remote sites for monitoring. The last proof of concept was built on Win2000 and DELL 2450's over 1,000 installations in the field, now onto the 2nd generation to replace the originals.

Anyone have any experience of the DELL SC's? may drop onto those.

Dave73
Regular Advisor

Hi Trick

Your server is not on the supported list of operating systems, so it might work or not. - Appologies, i see it is supported.

Can you share the methods you have tried using to install the o/s.

Regards

tricky4a
Advisor

I have not got past 1st base yet, see my original post, the DL380 G4 cannot see the USB DVD Drive plugged into the front or back USB.

Perhaps HP Support can adviswee how to configure the BIOS to see a USB drive? I am trying to post a photo of my screen, so it may help people understand.

Dave73
Regular Advisor

Its knock off time here, ill check in again tomorrow.

I have seen other issues with usb drives. make sure you are using direct power for the drive and not powering from the usb port. It may also be driver related.

Try to load from virtual media instead of using the dvd.  You should also be able to get going via the usb boot key utility from HP.

I have not installed a server in over a year with real media. All virtual via ilo virtual media or KVM virtual media.

tricky4a
Advisor

have you a link for the USB Boot key utility that HP provide? HP search is more an Altavista Bing mashup than Google!

The iLo option is one aspect I am interested  in as I thought it may help deploymenmt, so far not seen any way of working it. To me it seems the smart start is probably a Compaq thing whereas the Ilo is a HP thing.

taylorb
Advisor

It worked fairly well for me, but I have an internal DVD drive in mine.  

Have you tried the remote CD feature through ILO?   I can't remember if it requires a special license.  

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

I don't know anything about installing Windows 2008. However, I might have some advice on booting from an external CD/DVD drive.

Some drives take more time than others to become ready after being told to reset themselves and see if there's a disc inserted. Unfortunately, the BIOS of a DL380 G4 (or any Proliant of about the same age) can be kind of picky about that.

When a G4-era Proliant system boots up, you'll first see some memory tests, then all the BIOS extensions print out some messages (usually iLO, the SmartArray, any other SCSI or FibreChannel HBAs, and network-bootable NICs).  After all these extensions have printed out their messages, the screen clears and there will be a prompt that tells you to press F9 to access the main Proliant BIOS settings. After that, the system starts trying to boot from any configured bootable devices. Look closely at the display and the DVD drive at this point.

By default, boot from a CD/DVD is at the top of the list. If an internal CD/DVD is detected, it will probably be used first. Then, any USB-connected CD/DVD drives are told to reset themselves and report if there is a disc. Unfortunately, some CD/DVD drives take more time here than the Proliant BIOS is willing to wait. If you see the DVD drive LED start blinking and/or hear the drive spin up, but see a message telling that the CD/DVD boot attempt failed before the drive LED stops blinking, your external DVD drive may be starting up too slowly, so the BIOS gives up before the drive completes its reset and disc detection cycle.

Unfortunately, there is not much you can do to make a slow external DVD drive faster. You might try:

• updating the drive firmware, if a newer one is available
  • trying a different DVD. If you're using a writeable media, i.e. DVD+/-R or DVD+/-RW, the media type and writing mode may matter too. Track-at-once burning, RW discs and multi-session mode may sometimes make the disc detection slower than R discs burned Session-at-once/Disc-at-once in single-session mode.

If the boot messages indicate the system is only trying to boot from a hard disk even though CD/DVD drive is set first in the BIOS boot order, the BIOS might not be detecting your USB DVD drive at all. Try connecting the drive to a different USB port, if possible. (I think I once saw a server that had USB ports both in the front and the rear, but only the rear ports worked for booting. Unfortunately I remember neither the manufacturer nor the model of that server.)

MK
Dave73
Regular Advisor

tricky4a
Advisor

A USB is not really the solution, as I am unable to get the G4 to boot from ANY USB device. The downloads run from a DVD, which is what I cannot access.

I cannot believe I am asking for the world here, can HP Support not point me to a, How To install a popular OS on a popular machine!

Can anyone from HP answer the question, how to get a USB DVD working on a G4 or alternatively how to install over a LAN connection?

I admit it has beaten me, but there again I am not an employee of HP!