108795 Solutions
New Discussion

DL380 G4 Memory error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andrewjen
Occasional Visitor

DL380 G4 Memory error

I have a DL380 G4 under my care that started failing to boot after a shutdown and restart. It has 6 memory modules installed, each of 2GB.

The system will not display  anything on the attached monitor, there is a red LED on the front panel, and all of the memory module LEDS display yellow. There is a long beep, repeated at intervals.

I deduced this to be a memory failure and removed modules until the symptoms disappeared. Taking out the last two modules solved the problem. I purchased two new modules to replace what I assumed are failed chips, but upon putting them in the last two slots, the problem re-appeared. I moved two known good modules (they work in the other slots) to the problematic slots and the symptoms continued. 

I now realize that there is something else wrong, but do not know how to troubleshoot it. Is there a method to identify a failing/failed component in this case so that I can replace it and regain the full amount of memory in the system?

Thanks for any tips!

3 REPLIES 3
Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

Re: DL380 G4 Memory error

Looks to me it the slot itself that is at fault
Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala
Andrewjen
Occasional Visitor

Yes, I had thought of this. I'm hoping somebody can tell me if there are replaceable parts (besides the motherboard) that might resolve the issue, and if so, how to determine which part...

Thanks for your response!

Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

It is the motherboard itself that has to be replaced for the memory slot issue. I do not think we have to replace any other part besides the board
Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala