1748237 Members
3701 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G4, Novell Netware 5.0

garygem

DL380 G4, Novell Netware 5.0

Hi,

I have a DL380 G4, and need to install Netware 5.0, unfortunately it appears not to support this OS. Anyone know a workaround? I have tried an older version of smartstart (5.5) but his didn't support the DL380 G4

thanks for any help
8 REPLIES 8
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=976358
But no good news
"still can't get OS loaded on this machine"
Mandosa
Regular Advisor

check that thread again..i got it working. In summary then:

- disable the USB device on the server or you'll probaby end up with a 'Fatal Hub Link Error'
- boot NW5 OS CD. After the DOS boot partition is created, exit install and from the DOS prompt, create a directory called c:\nwupdate
copy to this directory from the smartstartcd \compaq\drivers\nw5 directory:
cpqraid.ham, cpqraid.ddi, cpqshd.cdm, cpqshd.ddi, q57.lan, and q57.ldi
-also put the update NWPA.NLM from http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2959051.htm in there as well
-boot from the CD again (keeping the existing DOS partition) the updated drivers should be used. when you come to the point of selecting Platform Support Module and Storage Adapters, remove the CPQMPK driver. CPQRAID and IDEATA should be listed under storage adapters (keep them).

let me know how this works for you.

garygem

Hi Mark,

thanks for the help, I dont seem able to access the CD rom drive after exiting?
do i need to load the CDrom drivers manually?

thanks again
Gary
Mandosa
Regular Advisor

just copy them to a floppy from a workstation first. or if there is no floppy, use a usb stick. just make sure you disable the usb after using it in setup as mentioned earlier though.
Bereket G kristos

I have used Mark Veltman steps to install Netware 5.0 on DL380 G4, It starts to install but it hangs and a message appear saying no storage device was selected. I have changed the CPQMPK by CPQRAID and IDEATA driver, is there any one who knows work around.

Thanks
Bereket
Mandosa
Regular Advisor

USB disabled in BIOS?

Bereket G kristos

Thanks Mark Veltman,

I have disabled USB, in fact I have to change the keyboard which was using USB port.

Bereket

Mandosa
Regular Advisor

unfortunately, if you've done exactly the steps outlined above, i don't have any other recommendations, since i never ended up putting my system into production, and that system has since been loaded with another OS.
you could always put vmware on it and then the hardware issues should go away, not to mention the host of other advantages of going with vmware.