108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G4 Problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
rccmum
Super Advisor

DL380 G4 Problem

I have a DL380 G4 box with 1x 3.2GHz CPU and 2x512MB DIMMs. When I power on the system, it give a long beep and repeates after a while continuously. I don't see anything on the VGA monitor. In the iLO remote console, I only see a message "Monitored system is resetting". I don't know what's wrong. I referred the proliant diagnostics manual but don't see a mention of the beep.

Can someone help me in troubleshooting this problem?

Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9
Desmond Tiong
Advisor

Open the top cover, see is there any amber light on the system board. You can try reseat the memory dimm as well.

Thanks,
Desmond
rccmum
Super Advisor

I did check the LEDs on the system board and reset the DIMMs, used other slots but no avail.

Front LEDs are Green I don't see any errors in iLO event log or in IML. It looks like the system is having some problem as POST is not going through. I see it try to access the floppy drive and DVD ROM though.

Any idea?

Desmond Tiong
Advisor

Hi rccmum,

The system still able to boot up OS level or totally down? Try run HP Smart Setup Disc to diagnose the server using HP Insight Diagnostics Tool to get further diagnostic result.

Thanks,
Desmond
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

well I think he said there is no video so no option to run any utility

he saw IML using ilo no need to have OS up and running

continue normal troubleshooting

reseat all parts not only memories
remove any PCI card or attached device
remove memories and check if you still got the beep
also you can try clear CMOS using system maintenance switch - number 6 -

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
rccmum
Super Advisor

Hi Karlo,

The systems beeps the same way even after removing the DIMMs. There are no add-on PCI cards installed. It just a base system and has 2 drives with simplex scsi configuration.

I see the iLO showing the CPU and DIMMs details. I don't see any amber light on the system board or on the front. It doesn't show the POST diagnostics results. I will try to re-seat the CPU and clear the CMOS to see if it helps. I am suspecting the problem might be with the on-board RAID controller but I don't see a way to confirm or isolate it.
Desmond Tiong
Advisor
Solution

Is this a new server or? I suspected the system board having issue. Even if raid controller faulty you still should be able to see the POST message. I had encountered one server booted up having long beep with all LED turn on green but no post no activity. Rebooted few times still the same. Leave it till next day booted up then no more beeps and able to up to OS level. Running diagnostics it hang at memory test, some problem in memory slots, replaced new system board so far running fine with no issue.
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Most likely the system board is the culprit. Replacing the system board may resolve the problem.
rccmum
Super Advisor

Replaced the system board and it resolved the problem.

Thanks for your help.
rccmum
Super Advisor

System board was replaced and that fixed the problem.