Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380 G4 Proc1 error

Tim Eller
Occasional Visitor

DL380 G4 Proc1 error

Hi,

our DL380 does not boot anymore. When i opened the case i see a orange led @ PROC1. after changing the ram, the processor and the cpu card the error remains. what else can i do to find out whats broken ?

4 REPLIES
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380 G4 Proc1 error

Well change to processor is the first response that comes to mind. If the Memory was broken then there should have been orange led right next to the DIMMS. It's hard to see if it's the CPU socket or the CPU.

If you try to take out the CPU in socket 1 does it start then? if you take out the CPU check the socket for discoloration lite burn marks or something.

you can also try changing place between the CPU to see if it's the socket or CPU thats bad. If the other CPU works in PROC1 socket then it's the CPU. If the CPU doesn't work its the socket which means you need a new motherboard..
burn_up
Advisor

Hi Tim,

This might be an error on the proc 1 or on the PPM (proccesor power module).

How many proccesors you have on that server?? If you have 2 you can try to boot only with one proc on slot 1, and 1 PPM, if that failed, swap the devices.

Chech this link on section 4-4 (page 128), you can find the system board components

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01129673/c01129673.pdf
Tim Eller
Occasional Visitor

hey.

seems to work now again. i changed the cpus, got 2 installed when we bought them, they worked for 2 years. after switching sockets they both work fine now, just running ram tests. any idea what could have been wrong ? should i rather test the cpu longer before using it productive now that it failed a few times in the one socket ?
burn_up
Advisor

I might be because of dust on the connectors, if you want to be completely sure that the procs are fine run the insight diagnostics offline edition and choose 3 loops

Here is the link to do download the SmartStart CD if you want to run the diagnostics (you need to boot thru the SmartStart

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=397634&prodNameId=3288132&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-a8f7363b3e0944789871f6a731

If you have any question on this just let me know