cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380 G4 SAS Conversion to SCSI

M P Thomas
Occasional Contributor

DL380 G4 SAS Conversion to SCSI

Hi does anyone know if it is possible to convert a DL380G4 SAS model into a SCSI model.

Basically we bought the wrong model server and need to change it over so that it accepts SCSI drives. I would have thought that it should be possible to change the drive cage and install a SCSI Raid Controller, however I can't find any information on how I might go about this.

Thanks,

Matt
3 REPLIES
Chris Saindon
Valued Contributor

Re: DL380 G4 SAS Conversion to SCSI

Hi Matt,

I am sure that this could be done but I don't think it's going to be easy. The drive cages on this server are part of chassis. So, you would need to replace the chassis, the front bezel, the controller, the drive backplane, the cables and the drives themselves. As you can see this may not be cost effective to do.

Also, the chassis is not an "orderable" part.

Do mind me asking why you prefer SCSI over SAS? I only ask this because the server world is starting to convert to SAS for the amount of space required and the capacity of the drives. SAS is faster and has the same functionality as SCSI drives.

Your best bet would be to speak with your reseller or wherever you purchased the server and explain the scenario. I can't make promises and I don't know the history of the server but it's worth a try.

Chris

Black holes are where God divided by zero - Steven Wright
M P Thomas
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Chris,

Basically we have a server farm of 150 servers which are all SCSI and thousands of SCSI drives therefore changing to SAS would be quite a big step and require us to look at support contracts, spares etc. Normally we would try and send the server back but we purchased back in November for budget purposes and have only just got round to getting it out of the Box to discover that we ordered the wrong model.

Matt
Chris Saindon
Valued Contributor

Hi Matt,

If the server has not been deployed, I don't see why they would not be willing to work out an exchange with you. If you were just returning the server it would be much more difficult, but an exchange is possible. Obviously, my suggestion may not be what the reseller is thinking. That would be the best and least costly method for you.

As for switching to SAS, your answer is what I fully expected and which is the case as to why alot of sites do not currently use the SAS drives.

Chris

Black holes are where God divided by zero - Steven Wright