ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753730 Members
4870 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G4 Slow Raid 5 Rebuild?

Frank Allison

DL380 G4 Slow Raid 5 Rebuild?

I have a DL 380 G4 server that has (6) 72 GB 10K SCSI drives in a Raid 5 configuration. One of the drives failed so I inserted its replacement drive. It is still not come back online and it has been 7 days. The Activity LED flashes on the drive but the Online LED is not on nor is the Fault LED. How can I tell if the RAID is rebuilding? It is running VMWare ESX 3.5 as the OS. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
wobbe
Respected Contributor

On a highly loaded server with rebuild priority set to low and no bbwc cache module a rebuild of a raid 5 set could take a long time. But 7 days, that sounds extreme!
If the middle led is still flashing at a constant interval the controllers is probably still bussy rebuilding.
As far as I know there is currently no way to see the rebuild progress on a VMware server.
Perhaps you can find something out trough the ILO board, it will show you some info about the hardware status but I don't think there is a rebuild progress indicator.
If you could shutdown vmware that would certainly speed up things.
Frank Allison

Thanks for the response. I tried the iLO card but it doesn't give me a status of the RAID. When I put the drive in and fired up the box, it prompted me for the Automated Recovery option and I said yes. I see the activity LED flashing so it looks like it's doing something. I'll wait for the weekend and see it I can shut down all of the VMs to see it that helps. Thanks again.
Fran Garcia
Frequent Advisor

you can install hpacucli RPM into ESX 3.5 to gather disk array info -- you'll probably need an oldish RHEL version rpm because there's no hpacucli for ESX IIRC :-) .

Regards