1752604 Members
4421 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL380 G4/Win Server 2K3 Server keeps blue screening

christh0mas
Occasional Contributor

DL380 G4/Win Server 2K3 Server keeps blue screening

Beginning last night, one of our financial production servers began rebooting itself. It would come up to the login prompt and a before you could log on, it would reboot. I was able to get into safe mode and set it to not restart automatically but after being in safe mode for just a few minutes, it would reboot there too. A lot of articles online say that bad memory could be a culprit, so I replaced the 4 sticks with 4 new sticks but that did not change the situation. I was able to get a small memory dump file off of the box and I read it with the Windows debugging tool. This was my first time using this tool so I’m not completely sure what it’s telling me, but it appeared that the problem was with the cpqasm2.sys driver. While in safe mode, I tried updating this driver but I’m not able to do much of anything in safe mode of course since the Windows installer service won’t run. I did disable a bunch of the HP management services and rebooted into regular mode but that didn’t help any.
I am just wondering how I’m supposed to update drivers or remove applications in safe mode. I’m not sure where to go next to get this server up and running and time is ticking. If anyone could provide some assistance, it would be most appreciated. I have attached the memory dump here in the hopes that some kind soul with a lot more knowledge than I might help out.

Thanks in advance
-Chris

4 REPLIES 4
christh0mas
Occasional Contributor

If it helps, here are all of the minidumps since the problem started last night.

Thanks.

christh0mas
Occasional Contributor

I booted into the recovery console and replaced the cpqasm2.sys driver with the newest one from HPs site.  I noticed that the file was the same size and the same date as the existing one but I gave it a shot anyhow.  It did not work.

PZel
Trusted Contributor

First I would bootup with the SmartStart CD and go to Maintain the Server/InsightDiagnostics/Log and look into the Integrated Management Log (IML) to see for hardware events.

Also, is there no indication whatsoever in the Event Viewer from Windows about the failure ?

Inside the cover of the server there is a sheet which explains what the LED's on the motherboard means.

Another thing is to create a bootable CD with memtest+ and let it run for some time, too look whether there are really memory problems.

Does this server has 2 power supply's ?? With 1 Power Supply the server totally depends on this PSU and that may causing problems.

For what I know this server with the Integrated 6i controller on board uses the cpqcissm.sys driver !!!!

PZ
PZel
Trusted Contributor

Find also this:

http://us.generation-nt.com/answer/2003-sp2-servers-rebooting-bugcheck-system-failure-stop-er-help-92848872.html

So, maybe you 've got to upgrade that system, with the Firmware CD and/or PSP.

PZ