4633 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G4, & SSL1016 Autoloader

James McMillan_4
Occasional Advisor

DL380 G4, & SSL1016 Autoloader

Heya

Does anyone know whether the SSL1016 Ultrium 460 Autoloader is compatible with the DL380 G4's SmartArray 6i?

We're getting a System Error 31, after much deliberation by HP, they say it's not compatible, only I can't find any proof of this.. the only similar thing I can find is a statement saying the drive by itself IS compatible (http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/compatibility/tapebackup/ISS/detail/16-0023-0059.html)

Can anyone point me to a definitive link somewhere on whether it's good or bad news?

Cheers, James

I'll post this in the Storage forums as well..
5 REPLIES 5
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Hi James

SSL1016 Autoloader is not certified for use with Smart Array 6i. Please refer to attached document. Suggest you should have seperate SCSI card for Autoloader

Regards
Mahesh
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Mahesh is correct. The rule for tape drives on onboard Smart Array controllers is:
- Standalone Tape Drives are OK
- Autoloaders and Libraries are not supported

This has been the case since the first onboard smart array controller (Integrated Smart Array on the DL380 G1). I don't think it will change any time soon.

Regards,
Stephen
James McMillan_4
Occasional Advisor

Hi Mahesh

Thanks for the reply - I have seen this compatibility matrix, but unless I'm missing something obvious (which maybe the case!).. it only seems to be listing the OS's and Backup Software that the drives/autoloaders etc are compatible with..

If I'm wrong, please point me to the page, column, and row!!

Unfortunately I need to be pointed to a technical document stating this rather than heresay - that's not to be-little the general knowledge here, but HP themselves cannot point me to anything definate!

Cheers
Thomas Olsen_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi

I have also asked for some technical documents saying it is not supported.
Anyway, I have also had major problems with a Storageworks MSL 6060 library connected to the internal 6i controller.
When I connected it to a Adaptec 29160 controller, everything worked perfectly and it has been since then..

/Thomas O
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I cannot find any public document that states explicitly "Library/Autoloader on 6i is not supported". But if you check the quickspecs for the server
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12028_div/12028_div.html#Storage
and look through the list of tape options, you will see that for almost all standalone tape drives, the 6i is listed as a supported controller. But for all autoloaders and libraries, the 6i is NOT listed. Only a normal SCSI HBA is listed as supported.

I also found this info for the DL380 G1. ROC means RAID-on-chip, which is the integrated Smart Array controller. This was the 6i's predecessor.
NOTE: Tape Drive Support
Tape drive support is possible from either channel of the ROC, but not both channels simultaneously. Also from a single SCSI channel, devices can be configured internally or externally but not from both simultaneously. Channel 2 (SCSI port 2) is reserved for the hot-plug and optional drive cages, (4 bay and 2 bay cages). Therefore Channel 1 (SCSI port 1 on the system board) can be used for both internal or external standard SCSI tape drives. *** But Tape Libraries and Tape AutoLoaders are not supported externally from the ROC controller.*** If an optional SCSI controller is installed in an available PCI slot, then external Tape Libraries and Tape AutoLoaders can be connected to the server.

Hope that clears things up a little bit.
Regards,
Stephen