1753717 Members
4854 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 G4 and LTO Ultrium Tape Drive

DJ Bowling

DL380 G4 and LTO Ultrium Tape Drive

All,

I have 2 DL380 G4 servers. Once we received them I installed a LTO Ultrium tape drive. The tape drive was then moved to another server temporarily. I have recently installed a MSA1000 in a cluster server environment. Afterwares i attempted to re-install the LTO Ultrium tape drive. I now get this error on boot up.

Internal and External Drives cannot be attached tot he same SCSI port (Controller is disabled until problem is fixed)

I have a seperate SCSI controller for the Tape, and a Fibre channel controller (HBA) for the MSA1000. I also know that the tape drive has worked in the past, so I removed the MSA1000 and still receive the error.

Anyone seen this before, is there a firmware upgrade I can do to resolve this issue?
10 REPLIES 10
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380 G4 and LTO Ultrium Tape Drive

Hi,

Is possible to clear the nvram for the server adn check by refixing the controller back on the server.
Which SCSCI Controller we are using there?

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
DJ Bowling

Im using the internal Integrated Smart Array 6i SCSI controller. It's built-in to the MB. And my MSA1000 is connected via a seperate HBA Fibre channel controller.
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor

Hi,

Can you confirm that you did not change the backplane to duplex when you attach the MSA1000?

Gus
Learning never ends
DJ Bowling

Sure, how do I do that? BTW this is happening on both (2) of my DL380 Cluster servers.
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor

Hi,

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00292624/c00292624.pdf

See page 56, that is the Simplex configuation for the DL380g4, whereas page 57 shows the Duplex.

Can you confirm which one do you see inside, please?

Gus

Learning never ends
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

check cable layout in the pdf given above
Nothing is impossible
DJ Bowling

Ok, I am using the simplex configuration. This is the default configuration that was setup from the factory and was not chagned.
DJ Bowling

Also, something to note. My LTO Ultirum Tape drive is external to the server and connected via Scsi cable.
Ruslan
Respected Contributor

It sounds like that the problem is in SA6i. It's not recommended to connect ANY tape device to RAID controller. Try to connect Ultrium to NON-raid controller