ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753454 Members
5934 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 G4 does not boot, no bios screen, both PCI-X ethernet cards show no lights (activity or link)

JustMe3
Occasional Visitor

DL380 G4 does not boot, no bios screen, both PCI-X ethernet cards show no lights (activity or link)

Following a power outage with a UPS failure the server will not boot. Connecting a know good VGA screen shows nothing on boot. The USB ports are dead and do not even provide power for mouse or keyboard lights.

Front panel lights are all correct and green. The motherboard ethernet port shows link and periodic activity. The two quad ethernet PCI-X cards show no activity or link on any port. The PCI cage does show AC power light to it.

I have reseated all 6 memory cards and the PCI cage. I have tried one then the other power supply as well as both with no change.

I can connect to ilo through the serial port and it is responsive. The only thing the logs shows is low voltage on the RAID card battery, the battery needs to be replaced but should not stop the system from booting.

The status lights on the motherboard are consistent 0100 0001.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I will keep working on testing various components, but I may just order a replacement motherboard. One of the two motherboard ethernet ports is already dead from a power tranient about 2 years ago (long story).

Any comments, suggestions, recommendations or ideas are welcome.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Edwin Eppel
Valued Contributor

Re: DL380 G4 does not boot, no bios screen, both PCI-X ethernet cards show no lights (activity or li

I would strip the system down to bare bones: 1 cpu, 1 DIMM, minimal or no drives connected. See if it will post. May need to swap the cpu and DIMM if running dual cpus to be sure. If it will post then add components one at a time to see what causes the problem. If it fails to post it is likely the mobo, but a bad cpu or backplane can cause failure as well.

Vktor
Frequent Advisor

Re: DL380 G4 does not boot, no bios screen, both PCI-X ethernet cards show no lights (activity or li

Hi  

Your motherboard is defective. Replace the motherboard and the BBWC (battery backed write cache ) also.