5297 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G4 no POST

bogdanserban
Visitor

DL380 G4 no POST

Hello,

I am having problems with two DL380 G4 server that are experiencing the same issue - no POST.

One of them was recently turned off for a UPS maintenance and at power on it experienced the issue. I get no video and no POST beep codes. The fans are working and the hard drives are spinning up. I tried the following:

- re-seating RAM modules

- replacing RAM modules

- swapping the CPUs

- swapping power supplies

- removing an extra ethernet card from the pci riser cage

- resetting the nvram cache

- connecting to ilo (no connection)

All the troubleshooting was done on another monitor, so KVM issues are excluded. I also checked the STATUS LEDs and the error code is 41h.

I hadn't checked the other one as thoroughly but the symptoms are the same.

8 REPLIES 8
sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi,

Do complete power drain and check (Power off and unplug the power cable for 15 minute). also

Reseat Fans (One by one and check if any fan is causing problem.)

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

bogdanserban
Visitor

I have unplugged the fans, cleaned them and plugged them back, there's no error and all of them work properly.

The server has been unplugged all weekend. I also found a pair of old memory sticks, plugged them in and I get a long beep, DRAM LEDs light up and no POST (but these are higher frequency than the original ones).

sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi,

Did you noticed any pattern in the beep also health led status?

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

bogdanserban
Visitor

There's a long beep (few seconds) and the health LED is red.

sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi,

If you are able to access ILO, can you post IML event here.

also

Can you please check with a pair of working memory from any other working server ?

Regards,

Sudhir

>Accept or Kudo

bogdanserban
Visitor

I have checked with another pair of memory from an identical server and I get the same issue as with the original ones. However, that server experiences the same issues, and the third server is online and I can't take it down (basically it's the only functional one we have at the moment).

I've tried connecting a patch cable from the ILO port to a switch and it doesn't appear as connecting to it.

sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi,

I can't trust DIMM's of other non-working server.,

Better to swap DIMM's from a working server if fesible and check.

Regards,

Sudhir 

>Accept or Kudo

bogdanserban
Visitor

By now, every other DIMMs I've put into it (apart from the pair from the other server), I get the long beep and all the memory status LEDs light up. They're DDR2, but not identical to the ones on the server.