1748211 Members
5034 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 G4 server : proper setup for onboard NIC ports in cluster

George Quist
Frequent Advisor

DL380 G4 server : proper setup for onboard NIC ports in cluster

WE have a pair of new DL380G4 servers and are having Wondows 2003 cluster failover issues.. I can elaborate with OS details later. On the hardware side:

using nic port 1 to the public lan

using nic port 2 for the private/heartbeat link

The system admins tell me every time they faiover the "cluster" to the other node.. they can no longer ping or contact the cluster ( via cluster name or ip.... Again I can qualify further.. My basic need is to assure the on mother board NIC ports can do this..
2 REPLIES 2
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380 G4 server : proper setup for onboard NIC ports in cluster

Hi,

Are you using a simple cross-over RJ45 link for the keepalive (heartbeat) link. This is the easiest way to do it and avoids lan interference.

Brian
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380 G4 server : proper setup for onboard NIC ports in cluster

Hi,

in the cluster administrator, ensure the Private network is set for Internal Cluster communication only, and the public LAN is used for both internal and external communciation. Then set the priority so that the private network is first priority for internal communication.

Also, go to the properties of the private NICs and disable things like Client for Microsoft Networks or any other services, apart from TCP/IP and HP Network Configuration Utility.

Is network communication permanently down after failing over resources? Or does it return after a while (if so, how long?)

Regards,
Stephen