6734 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G4 sound card problems

PANDERSON1
Occasional Contributor

DL380 G4 sound card problems

OS=Win2003Server.
Soundblaster Audigy SE sound card fails to produce sound when installed in any slot of the PCI-X riser cage. Driver install and config went off without a hitch. No irq conflicts. Card passes all "Creative Diagnostics" except speaker test with known good speakers. Card itself also verified in another (nonserver) system.
Suspect Audigy card not compatible with PCI-X or PCI-X bus as implemented in the G4 is not fully PCI-X compliant.
Please advise of similar experience and solutions achieved and/or recommend another sound card which works in this config.
7 REPLIES 7
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Is Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition installed?
PANDERSON1
Occasional Contributor

Yes winserver2003 Enterprise edition installed. Methinks we may have a bus voltage problem. Presently checking w/ creative to verify need for 5Vdc or 3.3Vdc.
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

One of the quirky differences between Standard Edition and Enterprise Edition is that Enterprise Edition does not automatically start the Windows Audio service. Have you checked that?
PANDERSON1
Occasional Contributor

Good point. just for grins though we presently have XP installed. It by default HAS the audio service started auto. Still no sound. Will chk card in another machine running server and check the service. Thanks.
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Creative has had problems writing audio drivers for multiprocessor systems for years.
rjt_1
Frequent Advisor

Did you ever get this working?
James M Davies
Advisor

I've installed Win 7 on my G3 and it only recognizes 2 of the 4 dual CPUs. Also I installed a sound blaster card and although the divice manager says it working properly, no sound. Any ideas for these problems?