6084 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 G4 update iLO though Web console

dyiu
Occasional Contributor

DL380 G4 update iLO though Web console

Hi all,

I have a DL380 G4 in a data center and install linux already, I would like to update iLO firmware from 1.64 to 1.82 with firmware image CP005863.scexe though iLO web interface, but I always receive update error message. Since I cannot use online update, so a offline update is a must.
7 REPLIES 7
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380 G4 update iLO though Web console

Hi,

you don't update it via the iLO web interface. You do it from the Server OS
This text is from the download page for the file you downloaded:

The SCEXE components are self-extracting executable files. The SCEXE file unpacks itself, flashes the ROM, and cleans up.

To flash a ROM:
Download the SCEXE file to the target server.
Execute: sh CPxxxxxx.scexe, where CPxxxxxx.scexe represents the filename of the component.

sh CPxxxxxx.scexe --unpack=directory
This command will unpack the package contents into a user specified "directory". If the directory does not exist, the unpacker will attempt to create it.

The "sh" command was used to execute .scexe because .scexe's filemode might not be set to be "executable".

Since 1.80 firmware there is no binary file that you can apply via the iLO web interface. You have to do an online update in the OS, or offline via the firmware maintenance CD.

Regards,
Stephen
dyiu
Occasional Contributor

I had downloaded the Firmware maintenace CD from the web and burned it to a disk, but I can't fine any link about the iLO firmware update, could anyone provide the link to me please? I downloaded the firmware maintenance CD from the following link:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/subscription/ssdownloads.asp

Thanks a lot
DAvid
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The file you've got appears to be a self installing shell script for Linux. If you get it on to a Linux box and run it, it should update iLO online, assuming you've installed the management agents etc on Linux.

For example (on a box without the agents)

[root@server]# ./CP005863.scexe
FLASH_iLO v1.03 for Linux (Aug 5 2005)
Copyright 2003 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.
Creating directory for default log file /var/cpq
Firmware image: ilo182.bin

ERROR: The HP Management drivers and agents are not installed. []

According to this link:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/lights-out/us/download/23231.html

You can no longer get a Smartpaq containing the ilo182.bin file which you used to be able to use directly in the iLO web interface to upgrade iLO.

Cheers,
Rob
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

the online update for Linux and the offline update for the FW Maintenance CD are exactly the same file. The FW Update CD runs a Linux OS.
If you have the Firmware Update CD and want to do an offline update, then do the following:
Copy the downloaded .scexe file to a floppy or a USB stick.
Boot the server from the Firmware Maintenance CD, and if you a using the USB stick, make sure it is plugged in before the POST is finished. Go the ROM Update Utility and select the Supplemental Disk option. It will ask you to for the disk. Then it should provide you with the option to flash the iLO.

Regards,
Stephen

David Claypool
Honored Contributor

From the page at http://h18013.www1.hp.com/support/files/lights-out/us/download/23231.html

-------------------------------------------
Availability

Starting with iLO 1.80, the firmware binary file will no longer ship as a softpaq. The firmware binary file can be obtained from the Online Flash Components.

The firmware binary file is used for flashing in the web UI, the scripting interface, or Command Line Protocol.

Prerequisites

The rack view functionality requires the Server Blade & Power Management Module firmware v2.10 or later.

Installation

Download the Online Flash Component for the operating system you will use to extract the file:

The Online ROM Flash Component for Windows - HP Integrated Lights-Out

The Online ROM Flash Component for Linux - HP Integrated Lights-Out

Run the Component
Select Extract on the HP Package Setup screen Select the location for the firmware binary image and complete extract process Select Close on the HP Package Setup screen Once complete, the firmware binary image is available (example iLO180.bin)
-------------------------------------------

...the one thing that isn't clear is how to do the unpack using the Linux version of the component. That would be:

CPxxxxxx.scexe --unpack=1

...and you will then have an extracted iloXXX.bin.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

As previously stated extract online file select .bin file and from Administration Tab search for Ilo Firmware Update Link, than Browse for .bin file and click Send firmware Image

It will kick you out in 60 seconds or when it done, re-log back
dyiu
Occasional Contributor

It works.. Thanks a lot for the help from all of you