ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748111 Members
3522 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 G4 very noisy at "normal" fan speed, latest PSP and FW, any solution?

mike li

DL380 G4 very noisy at "normal" fan speed, latest PSP and FW, any solution?

We recently bought a used DL380 G4 with Dual 3.6Ghz, upon booting the system my initial impression is how loud the fans are.

We installed a fresh copy of Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise, along with PSP and latest FW upgrades.

I've searched over and over, most suggested updating with the latest PSP and FW will fix the problem, so we upgraded the system and installed all the drivers and software bundles in the PSP disk. The fans still won't spin down.

In the HP Maintanance Home Page, under Insight diagnostic, all of the 8 fans are showing their speed as "Normal". Green LEDs on all of the fans.

I've also tried clearing the NVRM within the HP software, as well as using the DIP switch #6. Fans are still the same.

To test if the fans are working properly, I removed 1 of the redundant fans, the rest of the fans immediately spin up to high speed and they sound like they are having a lift off...

There's got to be a solution to this right?

This box is louder than 4 x Dell PE2950 combined (all of them have 2 x Quad Core Xeon 3.0Ghz, 4 x 15k SAS drives), the thermal generated by hardware shouldn't be much different.

Anyone has a solution please help!

P.S. this thread has been moevd from ProLiant Servers - Netservers to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). - Hp forum Moderator

3 REPLIES 3
akmal kudratov

Re: DL380 G4 very noisy at "normal" fan speed, latest PSP and FW, any solution?

Is your server located at specialized room that conditioning well and according to all server cooling standarts?
Or isn't rake doors closing necessary 'conditioning holes' from the front of and behind the server?

All that may cause server fans spin a little faster/louder
Craig

Hi,

I am having a similar problem with a clients server. We are re-installing and re-deploying the server and found the fan noise is really loud even at normal levels. I have looked everywhere and only found diagnostic tools that show the temperature and the fan status and nowhere that will allow me to change the speeds of them.

The server is in a chilled room and the processor temperature is cool enough to not need the fans that quick.

If anyone knows of software or firmware that can allow me to slow the fans, please let me know also.

parvezksa
Frequent Visitor

solution for your Problem and it really works

http://headadmin.net/?p=211