1751701 Members
5351 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G4 vs. Firmware DVD 9.10C and Support Paq psp-8.50.w2k3.i386.exe

T2
Occasional Advisor

DL380 G4 vs. Firmware DVD 9.10C and Support Paq psp-8.50.w2k3.i386.exe

I do have some problems with an Exchange Server running on this DL380 G4. This weekend I wanted to check firmware and drivers. In order to do so I downloaded the actual Firmware DVD 9.10C and Support Paq psp-8.50.w2k3.i386.exe. Both did nearly nothing. The firmware DVD ran first on last thursday - sotosay online - and it updated nothing because it was unable to. Somehow I came to something that said look for the file opman.trace. There I found this: "Target.cpp[1214]: Target 0: Error Reading Core Data: FindTextNode: Required tag servertype not found
Target.cpp[766]: Target 0: Closing Discovery Process."
I found a thread here in the forums ( http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ITRC-ProLiant-deployment/HP-SUM-4-0-0-ProLiant-BL35p-G1-Windows-Server-2003-x64-Discovery/m-p/4622356#M7485 ).
The thread also said what to try. But this failed as it failed for the thread starter.

Now I had my weekend off time and thought in boot mode the DVD will work better. Yes, a little bit. I updated two HDD firmwares. After that it said this DVD is for SuSE Linux. I see. Fine. But why did I find this DVD after saying I look for drivers for a DL380 G4 and for Windows 2003? Ok, I had to decide that firmware update is impossible. I went on to the support paq. How funny seeing it producing the same fault as the firmware DVD.
"When I try to run HP SUM 4.0.0 I constantly receive тАЬDiscovery FailedтАЭ error message.", as the thread writer says. That's it. So for this machine - a DL380 G4 - everything offered on the driver download site fails. Or do I have to download each driver individually?

I would be grateful if someone could take a new look at this phenomenon.

Regards,
Thomas

7 REPLIES 7
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

As a workaround the cmd file in the folder with HPSUM.exe can be used to install the support pack. The firmware DVD, if booted from it, is OS independent. It is entirely possible that there are few items which have updates available for this server. Some of the firmware for this server cannot be updated within the OS (parallel SCSI hard drives for the most part).

One of the things that can cause the discovery failed message is not having the serial number set correctly within the RBSU. It's also possible corruption within the NVRAM could be at fault. This can be resolved by clearing NVRAM.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
T2
Occasional Advisor

Hi Terry,

thank you for the quick answer. I suppose I did already try the command line way. In the thread I mentioned there was said how to use this with even parameters that I think shall make the discovery less strict. I cite it here but saying it did not work for me:
"./hpsum /silent /bundle bundle.xml /On_failed_dependency:Omit_component /veryv"
Now you say it might be the incorrect serial. I checked that on saturday. But maybe I checked the wrong place. Where does it have to match? Next item on this comes from my colleague. He says it must be impossible to change the serial. Otherwise it would be possible to make tricks with care packs.
What I find really interesting is your hint towards clearing NVRAM. Perhaps you tell it here how this can be done. But I will also try to find it out.

Best Regards,
Thomas
T2
Occasional Advisor

Did not find anything helpful about clearing NVRAM. Con you please give further advice?

Thomas
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

What I recommended regarding the CMD file was not doing it through the CLI. In the folder where you extracted the PSP there are a bunch of files and one of them has a .cmd extension. Run this and it will install the items in the PSP.

The serial number CAN be changed, otherwise how would you be able to get the correct serial number installed if you have to have a system board replacement. Both changing the serial number and clearing NVRAM can be done within the RBSU (F9) during POST.
T2
Occasional Advisor

Wow Terry, that sounds very complete. Sorry for misunderstanding you at first. Now I shall simply see where I can find the next down time window ...

I'll post it here when I have finished them items.
By the way, is it somehow dangerous to clear NVRAM?

Thomas
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Worse case scenario for deleting NVRAM will be that the settings in the BIOS will be set back to the defaults.
T2
Occasional Advisor

Hi Terry,

of course that sounds not too good. But I just had the original problem again. I mentioned in the beginning that this server is an Exchange Server. Well, since some 12 days its store.exe crashes. This used to happen once in 24 to 36 hours. Now it worked since sunday morning when isinteg -fix had done its job. Of course I am disappointed now because it seemed to be fixed. This driver and firmware update was thought as care. Now it gets more important again. Of course you are not an Exchange experts at the same time. So don't feel asked for this special problem. But if you have ideas about the store.exe might possibly crash due to hardware, driver or firmware stuff please feel free to tell me. I do think that my next step after isinteg will be eseutil. And I take this as a chance to go down to the NVRAM. And of course I have to tell you that yesterday I ran the bp000764.cmd. And it seemed to work. What I found strange was the end of the run. It simply closed the cmd window and nothing else. Can I see a log somewhere?

Best regards,
Thomas