HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380 G4 w/6 - 36 GB Drives (4 and 5 lights out)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeffrey Pogodzinski_1
Occasional Contributor

DL380 G4 w/6 - 36 GB Drives (4 and 5 lights out)

I have a DL380 G4 with six - 36 GB Hot Swappable Drives. All 6 drives appear to be recognized by the Array Configuration Utility, but the status lights on the drives in slot 4 and 5 are OFF. The drives are fine, because when I move the drives to another slot the status lights work fine.

Anyone know why no status light?

I would like to run raid (0+1) with all six drives, but the no status lights is making me nervous.

Thanks, Jeff.
3 REPLIES
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: DL380 G4 w/6 - 36 GB Drives (4 and 5 lights out)

Jeffrey:

The lights not working is likely just the backplane board needing to be warranty replaced.

The part number to request is 359253-001

G'luck! -john
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Jeff,

I agree with John, particularly since moving the disks shows that they work elsewhere. The disks have fibre pipes which take the light from the leds on the backplane up to the front of the drives. They don't have any leds themselves so what you see comes from the backplane.

Get a torch and have a look at the backplane with the drives removed. Compare the bad slots with the good ones. You will probably see that the leds are damaged or missing altogether. They may even be lying inside at the bottom of the backplane chassis surround where they dropped off.

The problem will be purely cosmetic as the drives will be OK. Get HP to replace the backplane under warranty as suggested. If you are in a real hurry, the drives can be configured and the backplane swapped later but for peace of mind I would get it replaced ASAP.

Regards,

Brian

Jeffrey Pogodzinski_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your help -- HP is sending me a new part!