HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380 G4 will SCO Openserver 5.0.6a Work on it?

SOLVED
Go to solution

DL380 G4 will SCO Openserver 5.0.6a Work on it?

The OS chart says the DL380 G4 is certified with 5.0.7.

Has anyone tried to install 5.0.6 on a DL380 G4? Any luck? I really do not want to have to pay over $5000 to upgrade to 5.0.7 if 5.0.6 meets my needs.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff.
3 REPLIES
Michael Williams_6
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: DL380 G4 will SCO Openserver 5.0.6a Work on it?

Almost unbelievably, it looks like 5.0.6a will work. You'll need the latest EFS, which you can find here:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/21440.html

The DL380G4 and Smart Array 6i controller are supported. My advice to you would be to move away from SCO onto Linux, we've had a lot of success and had a considerable improvement in performance having done so.

You've got a 64-bit server and are installing a 32bit OS, it's a bit of a waste of money buying the G4 when you could have got an equally performing G3 as the OS is your limiting factor.

If you can't port, then you should at least move onto SCO 5.0.7, 5.0.6 does not support HyperThreading which gives a bit of an improvement in performance.

Let me know how it goes, I'm curious!

Mike

Does the Xeon processor support hyperthreading?

Yes, we would love to move to Linux, but we need to port our application first. We do use a Linux servers for a Postgresql, email, ftp, samba, and web server.

Thanks for your answers! They were a great help.

Michael Williams_6
Trusted Contributor

The Xeon on the G3 and the G4 380's are both Hyperthreaded.

It doesn't always make a difference, but the Linux kernel has hyperthreading support, so it can make a difference.

I've found it greatly improves I/O intensive apps, as when one processor is split in two, one half will be running the I/O requests, and one half will be running the data-stuff that it does with the I/O...