ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753599 Members
6534 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 G4 with MSA500-G2 "Device is not ready"

Jonath

DL380 G4 with MSA500-G2 "Device is not ready"

After a power outage where I discovered that the MSA500-G2 storage array was not on an UPS, I subsequently could not get my servers to read the drives. I'm on MS Windows Server 2003. The drives show up in the Explorer interface, and in the Disk Management console. However, if I try to explore them or manage them in anyway, a message pops up that says that "The device is not ready." The status window on the storage array says that the device is ready. How can I clear the "device not ready" block? There is some very essential data on those drives that I can't afford to lose. Thanks in advance!
4 REPLIES 4
Fran Garcia
Frequent Advisor

Re: DL380 G4 with MSA500-G2 "Device is not ready"

You'll probably need to poweroff all your servers, then powercycle the array and finally poweron your servers.
Jonath

Thanks for the reply!

I've already tried (repeatedly) cycling the power of the servers and array. I have first powered all servers that touch the array down. Then I would power down the array. After that I even unplugged everything to make sure there was absolutely no power to anything. Then I re-plugged in everything, powered up the array and waited for it to give me an okay status, and then finally powered up the servers. I still get the "The device is not ready" message.
Vague Assumption
Frequent Advisor

If there is more than one controller in the MS500, remove the duplicate controller and try the whole process all over again.
Jonath

Nope, there is only a single controller. I have even tried pulling the controller out, reseating it, and then doing the whole power up routine. Still nothing. I ran diagnositics on the Array, and everything came out kosher. The only thing that seemed a little odd, was that the diagnostics said that the cache was not configured. Does it need to be to report begin available to the OS?