7464 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G4

Chris Viernes
Occasional Contributor

DL380 G4

Hi All

Just a quick question: Is it possible to move my current hdisk into another scsi controller without losing any data and OS (win2k)?

The reason I ask this because I got a DLT tape drive that could not be detected with the controller SA642 (note that the server comes with two controllers SA6i and SA642) and I think it could be detected with SA6i. But the problem is my 6 hardrives are connected to SA6i (configured as DUPLEX so no to avail the external scsi port) and must be transferred to SA642 controller.

Is there any problems if I just configure my 6 hdisk (in duplex mode) to drive from 642 controller (with the same duplex mode) without losing the OS and data?

Here are the details of my config:
SA6i (duplex mode):
2 x 36Gb (RAID1+0) OS
4 x 146Gb (RAID5) data

Please advise.
Thanks
Chris
4 REPLIES 4
Symen
Frequent Advisor

Yes sure, should be no problem. just pull the current scsi cables from the system board and plug into the 642 controller.
the controller will do the rest.
Just make sure you have a working backup before you do this, you never know ;)
Chris Viernes
Occasional Contributor

Follow up question:

If I attached the hdisk to the 642 controller, do I still need to configure the RAID setup ie. 2x36Gb RAID1+0 and 4x146Gb RAID 5.

Thanks again!
Chris
Symen
Frequent Advisor

no, no,
please dont't! The controller really needs to recognise the configuration from the disks by itself. If you reacreate the arrays, you will lose all data.
Chris Viernes
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Symen!

Will try on Saturday and give it a shot! I just hope it would be fine as I really dont want to re isntall win2k and recover my data.

Wish me luck! and thanks again! will give your points once I got the results!