ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380 G5 2 x Quad core processor won't boot Solaris 10 64 bit.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tyler Brown
Occasional Advisor

DL380 G5 2 x Quad core processor won't boot Solaris 10 64 bit.

I can add kernel/unix to the grub kernel line and the machine boots perfectly in 32 bit, but when it tries to boot in 64 bit, the screen goes black, and the machine will restart itself. I have installed the drivers for the p400 storage controller so that shouldn't be the problem. Is there something I may be missing? Thanks,

Tyler
18 REPLIES
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

Re: DL380 G5 2 x Quad core processor won't boot Solaris 10 64 bit.

Hi,

There seems to be a problem with the G5 CPU steppings.

Uninstall the second quadcore CPU, run a Firmware Update (note that the latest bios for the DL360G5 is not included in the latest FW CD, so you have to download it manually).
You can also try cross-changing the CPUs, but it is more likely the older bios. After the Update everything should work properly.

Kind regards,
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Mi6to's suggestion should help, just in case if you haven't update the system ROM.

Solaris is limited to 32-bit for v. 6/06 & 1/06 according to :

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/493908-0-0-0-121.html

Under notes there are some patches listed, check them out if you have a supported OS...

Pac
Tyler Brown
Occasional Advisor

OK I will try this out. We are running solaris 11/06 so 64 bit is listed as supported. I'll post back if this works. Thanks.
Tyler Brown
Occasional Advisor

Performed the firmware update to the BIOS to the latest from the update site. Didn't uninstall the CPU though? Same problem still exists. Before I uninstall the second CPU i'd like to know why this makes a difference?
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

About the 2 CPUs with different steppings - sometimes they cause kernel panic on linux-based operating systems and that is the reason for a blackscreen. For example, this happens when you try to boot from FirmwareCD or Smartstart CD, because they're linux-based CDs. And problem is seen in G5 servers with some intel CPUs.

Regards,

mi6t0
Tyler Brown
Occasional Advisor

Ah I see. I guess in our case it worked fine to have both CPU's installed. The ROM flash worked, but the machine still reboots when it tries to boot into 64 bit. Any other thoughts? Anything I can do to give more information?
pongthep promsiri
Occasional Visitor

Hi all
I got the same problem when I try to install Solaris 10 08/07 On DL380 G5 1 cpu quad core 3.0 GHz.
So it still reboot after install.
Also I will try to upgrade firm ware. If it work I will come back again.

Pongthep
pongthep promsiri
Occasional Visitor
Solution

Yeppy
I got it. Add patch 125370-06 and 127112-11. So now I can start solaris 10 64bit on DL380 G5 Quad core.

pongthep
Tyler Brown
Occasional Advisor

Yes I just recently got this to work as well. The important patch is the 127112-11 patch and all its dependent patches. I contacted HP and they made a point to update their documentation with this information.
Coddman
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
I have the same problem with my DL380. I am having difficulty patching to the level recommended. Could someone tell me how I can patch during installation or in Failsafe mode as I cannot login to either single or multiuser mode??
Thanks
Tyler Brown
Occasional Advisor

Some of the patches were applied by the update manager, and some of the patches I had to apply manually by downloading from the site and running them with the patchadd command. I did this all while logged-in in multi-user mode of 32bit Solaris.

In order to force the machine to boot into 32bit you will need to add kernel/unix to the boot line in grub. If you do not do this then the machine will try to boot into 64 bit, fail and then restart.
Tyler Brown
Occasional Advisor

Sorry I suppose I didn't really answer your question though. I actually don't know of a way to patch in failsafe. It may be possible, but I am not aware of it.

Have you ever been able to log in since you installed? What error messages / symptoms are you seeing? What versions of HW / Solaris are you using?
Coddman
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Tyler,
I have amended the grub kernel line and the machine does boot into the 32bit enviroment fine. I also have added the p400 storage drivers and my machine is now completely configured on the network but I cant seem to add patches with patchadd.
Coddman
Occasional Advisor

Am using Solaris 10 11/06 kernel 118855-33. Am trying to patch up to required 127112-05. Do you know what patches i would have to add prior to this patch. I have tryed tracing back to the very first dependant patch and still no good.
I might add this is the first time I have attempted to patch solaris. Your patience is appreciated.
Tyler Brown
Occasional Advisor

Hey. I can't remember exactly how I applied the patches before. I think I used the update manager to apply some of them, but I remember that I had to download a few dependencies manually (which were hard to find on Sun's site) and install them with patchadd.

I actually just did an install on one of these servers yesterday. If you can use the new Solaris 10 05/08 then you don't seem to have to install any of the patches at all to make it run in 64 bit. All you need to do is install the P400 drivers and install the network drivers. Make sure you pkgrm BRMCbnx the existing network drivers that ship with Solaris before you install the new network drivers. Don't use the Original ones either. They don't work.

Good luck. I can track down that patch dependency for you if you must use 11/06. Just reply back.
Tyler Brown
Occasional Advisor

Here is the patch you need to apply: http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-21-127128-11-1

Notice the list of required patches to make this patch work. You must install all these patches first as well. Unfortunately you have to make sure to install all the dependencies as well.

Copy all these to a patch directory to your machine and then patchadd all them. For instructions on patchadd just read the man page.

Good luck.
Coddman
Occasional Advisor

Thanks again Tyler,
I am working through this process and will report back shortly.
Coddman
Occasional Advisor

Hi Tyler,

Thanks very much for all you help with this issue as it is very much appreciated. I now have patched my 11/06 to the required levels and the systems are now running in 64Bit mode.

Regards,
Brendan