ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748227 Members
4380 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G5: BIOS configuration over serial console?

Mikael_21

DL380 G5: BIOS configuration over serial console?

Hi,

I have a serial console to a DL380 G5-box and would like to change BIOS-settings and also configure iLO.
The problem is that I can't send "F8" or "F9" over the serial console during boot. Have tried all different versions CTRL+9 etc. etc.

Any ideas on how to do it? Is it posible?

Cheers
Mikael
5 REPLIES 5
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

check this manual

- just in case update to the latest SYSTEM ROM

- and check this document
page 11, about Terminal Emulation Support (ANSI and VT100)
page 15, Keystroke Emulation I think the want you need
http://docs.hp.com/en/372432-001/372432-001.pdf

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Mikael_21

Hi Karlo

Thanks for your reply!
I have allready found that document and unfortunately it doesn't help.

Those charachter emulations only work once the BIOS has been loaded, not to get into the BIOS. I can use them to get into RBSU but I can't find any changes there that helps. I was kind of hopeing that I might find an iLO config option in the RBSU but there's none.

Updating the SYSTEM ROM might be needed, unfortunately the "box" is some 500km away...

Cheers
Mikael
Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

If I understand, you're trying to do this because you need iLO (obviously) and you can't get onsite to configure it.

This may be a better solution for you (configure the iLO from Windows):

HP Lights-Out Online Configuration Utility for Windows Server 2003

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=au&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121516&prodNameId=3288134&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-6370c5233e7b4a89b3aac041d5
Mikael_21

Hi Joshua,

Maybe I should have explained a bit more.
The box is a brand new one without any OS whatsoever. It was installed with iLO and serial-console connected, but we forgot to give it an IP on the iLO. I didn't realize that untill I got back, but expected it to be a simple task since I had the serial-console conected.
Turned out that I can't send the "F8" for iLO-config or "F9" for BIOS over the serial console though.
I have tested pretty much all posible setups using different character emulations without any luck so right now I'm heading back onsite to setup the iLO.

It would be nice to figure this problem out though if we ever need it again.

Cheers
Mikael

SPa
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

I understand that you are trying to access Post Menu's through virtual Serial Port of ILO 2.

If that is the case,check for the following BIOS Setting:

BIOS Serial Console and EMS

Under this you will have following options:

--BIOS Serial Console port : This should be set to the correct Com Port and should be the same as listed under System options
-- BIOS Serial Console Baud Rate :should be set to 115200

-- EMS Console : Correct COm port

-- BIOS interface Mode: Auto

after the above is done,you should be able to access the menus.

Incase you are not accessing the Virtual Serial Port directly from the ILO screen and doing it via some utility like putty ,you need to ensure it is VT100 compliant and try esc+9 for F9 and esc+8 for F8 .