1751920 Members
4747 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 G5 BIOS flash

SEvans_1
Occasional Contributor

DL380 G5 BIOS flash

In an attempt to recreate a customer fault I 'updated' the BIOS on a DL380 G5 to an older version (P56 2006.12.28) by running the Online ROM Flash Component CP007469.scexe. All seemed to go ok, but when I rebooted the server I saw the message 'unsupported processor detected' and 'Insert ROMPAQ Diskette and press any key when ready'.

I'm now trying to install a later BIOS (2008.11.1) using the ROMPaq utility, which I've installed on a 1GB USB key by running SP41991.exe. However the DL380 does not appear to detect the USB key.

The LED on the USB key flashes when it's inserted. I've tried rebooting with and without the key in place.

I've gleaned from a previous thread that the server maintenance switch setting on the motherboad may have to be changed, but I can't find anything definitive on this for the DL380 G5.

Can anyone advise on how to get the ROMPaq working, or failing that any other method to fix the BIOS?

Thanks in advance,

Sean.
4 REPLIES 4
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380 G5 BIOS flash

Have you set the BIOS itself to boot from USB. I don't have a DL380 G5 in front of me right now, so I can't give you the exact location, but somewhere in there should be a spot to tell the server to "use USB" (if available) for booting.

Nelson
SEvans_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the prompt response Nelson.

I can't get into the BIOS to change the boot device. I press F9, and I see the confirmation 'F9 pressed', but it then just goes into the 'Insert ROMPAQ disketted' screen. I presumed this wass because of the faulty BIOS install.
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Hi Sean,

Keep in mind that using the system maintenance switch will reset all RBSU settings to their default values. It sounds in this case however that you are in a desparate situation.

To reset the switch, check pages 86-87 in this document: http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00710359/c00710359.pdf

In short, set switch S6 to the ON position and boot. Good luck!
SEvans_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for that suggestion, but changing switch 6 didn't appear to make any difference.

However I looked further into the ROMPaq creation procedure, and noticed that for disaster recovery I needed to create a USB key of 'floppy format' - previously I'd just created a standard USB key ROMPaq as this was earlier in the list of options.

When I powered up the server with this key in place the ROMPaq utility ran and I was able to flash the BIOS.