5140 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

DL380 G5 Disk Wipe?

lkubler
Occasional Advisor

DL380 G5 Disk Wipe?

Hi,

I'm trying to decommission a DL380 G5 server with a pair of SAS 72GB hard drives, which were originally configured in a RAID 1 array. 

I have long used Active KillDisk to wipe my desktops and it works fine, however, when I tried it on this server it said it was going to take 40+ hours.  So I started searching to see if there was a way to do this more efficiently and found most suggest breaking the RAID config and simply wiping the drives individually.

So I deleted the logical array and now Active KillDisk doesn't see the hard drives at all. 

I downloaded DBAN and burned it to a CD and it too reports there are no drives in the system.

Anyone know how to perform a DoD level wipe of the hard drives in a server like this?  Step by step instructions would be appreciated. 

FYI, I'm planning on donating this server so I need the drives intact, otherwise I'd consider physically destroying them.

Thanks in advance,

Linn

2 REPLIES 2
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: DL380 G5 Disk Wipe?

Hi,

Consider using HP SmartStart CD's "System Erase" option to clear all disks and array configuration.

Click here for an Advisory and here to download the CD ISO.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: DL380 G5 Disk Wipe?

You need to create an array and logical drives before an OS will see the disks.  You might try creating 2 seperate arrays, each with just one disk and one logical drive to run your wipe software. Your boot image will also need to contain the driver for the smart array controller to be recognized

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!