5779 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

DL380-G5, H200 POST Error: 1720-S.M.A.R.T. Hard Drive Detects Imminent Failure

BuildTheRobots
Occasional Advisor

DL380-G5, H200 POST Error: 1720-S.M.A.R.T. Hard Drive Detects Imminent Failure

Good afternoon,

I have an old DL380g5 with an H200 RAID card. Two disks configured in a RAID1 (mirror).

The server is running ESXi 5.5

Both disks in the array have a flashing green light and the failing disk is also flashing orange (see video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqGiINokAAA&feature=youtu.be )

One of the disks is now reporting as failing, so could someone advise on the correct way of replacing it without destroying my RAID set or loosing data. Googling for HP H200 produces no useful results.

Greatest of thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: DL380-G5, H200 POST Error: 1720-S.M.A.R.T. Hard Drive Detects Imminent Failure

Hi,

I am not sure about H200, but in HP Raid Cards, if one of the drive fails in Raid 1, then you remove bad drive and insert a good drive into the same slot and it will rebuild.

I got this information from a pdf but not sure if its called a Virtual Disk, in HP we call it Logical Volume.

Replacing and Rebuilding a Degraded Virtual Disk

In the event of a physical disk failure in a RAID 1 or RAID 10 virtual disk, you will need to replace the disk and resynchronize the virtual disk.
Synchronization occurs automatically on replacing the physical disk using the following steps.
1 Replace the failed physical disk with a blank disk of the same type and of equal or greater capacity.
2 Check your management application or the BIOS Configuration Utility (<Ctrl><C>) to ensure synchronization started automatically.

I would recommend to take a valid backup before performing this task.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

BuildTheRobots
Occasional Advisor

Re: DL380-G5, H200 POST Error: 1720-S.M.A.R.T. Hard Drive Detects Imminent Failure

For anyone finding this in the future.

Powered off server. Swapped out the failed disk with a new one. Powered the server back on.

During the RAID bootrom init, I was given a 60 second timeout; default option was to rebuild the array on the new disk (or I could have continued in the completely degraded state).

Quick and easy :)