Hi,

I have a DL380 G5 running ESX 3.5

8 CPU x 2.833 GHz

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5440 @ 2.83GHz

Hyperthreading Inactive

RAM 16 GB

hard disks installed from the left when looking at the server - 8 slots

36 GB 36 GB 146 GB 146 GB 146 GB 146 GB 146 GB empty

when I look at the config using the VMWare Infrastructure Client I see under Storage Adapters

SCSI Target 0

path               Canonical Path ... Capacity

vmhba0:0:0  vmhba0:0:0       ...  33.68GB

SCSI Target 1

path               Canonical Path ... Capacity

vmhba0:1:0 vmhba0:0:0        ... 410.10GB

SCSI Target 2

path               Canonical Path ... Capacity

vmhba0:2:0  vmhba0:0:0       ... 136.70GB

under storage I see

store3  vmhba0:2:0:1 136.50 GB vmfs3

store2  vmhba0:1:0:1 410.00 GB vmfs3

store1 vmhba0:0:0:3  26.25 GB vmfs3

esxpress-quorum 192.168.1.xxx:/.quorum 2.37 GB

It appears that three of the 146 GB drives are being used to create store2.

Questions:

1. How do I tell if store1 is mirrored across the two 36 GB hard disks

2. How do I tell if three of the 146 GB hard disks are being used to create the 410 GB drive

3. I think that one of the 146 GB hard disks is not being used - would this be a correct assumption? How do I tell if this is the case and how do I use it?

4. Should Hyperthreading be turned on in the BIOS? I have two 64 bit virtual machines running.

6 REPLIES
Louis Henninger_1
Regular Advisor

Re: DL380 G5 Hard Disks

Good Morning,

I would think you need Hyper-threading turned on for virtualization, but I'm not certain.

The questions about your drive set up can be quickly answered by booting up SmartStart and looking at the Array Configuration Utility.

Choose the controller to display> then show physical disks (default is logical view)

Exit without making changes, then exit SmartStart. You should boot up ESXi.

Regards,

Louis

markagregory
Advisor

Do I run smartstart on a PC?

I have ESX 3.5 installed - why do you say I should boot up ESXi?

I would appreciate someone else commenting on the virtualization and the other questions please.
Louis Henninger_1
Regular Advisor

SmartStart is run on the DL380 G5 in question. If you don't have a SmartStart CD, you can download it from the HP website, drivers and support, servers, ProLiant DL servers, DL380 series, DL380 G5, drivers and software, scroll down until you see SmartStart. Click download link, then download. You need to burn to CD/DVD, then boot up.

To boot , you should be connected directly into the server with a Monitor, USB mouse and USB keyboard.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Either boot the SmartStart CD/DVD and run ACU (Array Configuration Utility) or during POST when the Smart Array controller ROM appears, press F8 and go into ORCA (Option ROMs Configuration for Arrays). Either of these tools will show you how the drives are configured.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
markagregory
Advisor

Hi, I'm guessing from the responses that I have to take the server offline to see what the hard disk confguration is. This is a real pity.

thank you for the help.

regards, Mark

Louis Henninger_1
Regular Advisor

The OS "sees" the direct attached storage differently than a Windows, Linux or UNIX based systems.

An offline view is directly from the controller, and will give you what you're looking for. From that, the correlation to the OS view would make more sense. 5  to 10 minutes downtime is a small price for peace of mind..

Regards,

Louis