5217 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G5 Network Configuration problem

twilson_1
Occasional Advisor

DL380 G5 Network Configuration problem

Hi,

I have 2 of the above servers with the embedded NC373i Multifunction Gigabit Network Adapters running Windows 2008. When I run the HP network configuration utility to attempt to team the NIC's, the network configuration utility does not see them, it is just blank where the NIC's should be.

I installed the PSP and the NIC's are working fine, though I had to disable the TOE functionality to be able to RDP to the servers due to running VS 2005 SP1. I re-enabled this to test and the NICs still weren't recognized.

Am I missing something to get this seen by the network config utility? Is there more software that I have to install? All I could turn up said I just needed the drivers/network config utility to team them.

Thanks.
Tom
10 REPLIES 10
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

is all the firmware up to date? 8.0?
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&swItem=MTX-6e09964448994337ad23016691&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

did you install PSP 8.0?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
twilson_1
Occasional Advisor

The PSP is 8.0.

I didn't update any firmware because I didn't see any firmware updates for the NIC's. I'm downloading the CD from the link you posted now.

Thanks.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

ok

try that and let us know

regards
twilson_1
Occasional Advisor

I updated the firmware and still have the same issue.

Is there a license or something I need to purchase to have this functionality? I noticed the License Manager button in the network configuration software.

Thanks.
Tom
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

no no no at all

NCU(Network configuration utility) is installed and automatically recognizes NICs

let me ask you did you use smartstart(SS) to installed those servers? if so SS 8 version?

try this:

- uninstall the NCU you have right now
- uninstall the drivers too
--- reboot
- install these drivers
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121516&prodNameId=3288134&swEnvOID=4022&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-51ab4e870dcd43a4a28b947697
- install this version 9.0
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121516&prodNameId=3288134&swEnvOID=4022&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-51ab4e870dcd43a4a28b947697
- check and let us know

------------

some time ago
I saw similar issue and it was resolve like this:
embedded NIC were not recognize.
just for trial and error someone inserted a PCI NIC Card
- once OS was load NCU was loaded and all NIC cards were there embedded and PCI
- curious
- even when PCI was removed embedded continued there

regards
twilson_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I did not user the SmartStart disk to install. I installed Windows 2008 X64 on them and the SmartStart cd didn't have an option for Win2008 so I installed it straight off the Windows disks.

I then downloaded and installed the drivers and PSP after that.

The NCU version I have is 9.10. I will download the one you recommended and try that one. Also, the 2 links you posted both point to the same thing, the NCU. Are there drivers I need as well or will the NCU install file install them?

Thanks.

Tom
twilson_1
Occasional Advisor

I removed the NCU and drivers and reinstalled both. Still no luck. I could not install the NCU from the link you provided. I believe it was because it was for the 32 bit version. I did download the 64 bit 9.1 and reinstalled that one.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare PCI card around that will fit into the PCI Express\PCI X slots at the moment so I can't try that suggestion at this point.

Thanks for the help.

Tom
twilson_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I found that the NICs not being recognized by the NCU is related to some combination of Virtual Server 2005 R2 and/or IIS.

I reloaded the server from the SmartStart 8 disk I downloaded that supports Win2008 x64 Datacenter. Upon finishing the install the NCU detected the NICs. After loading Virual Server which also loads up IIS, the NCU no longer sees the NICs.

I'm not sure if it is intentional or not due to the way VS has to handle NICs for VMs but either way, I found the source of the issue.

Thanks for the help.

Tom
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

Hi all,

NCU works very well if Symantec End Point protection is installed without Firewall option, so please check and disable the SEP at least for you to test that this is the SW conflict.
please let me know if this works for you.

Regards,